Play in steering system 1990 2WD Chevvy Suburban

Hey group!

I own a 1990 Chevvy Suburban 1500 2WD with about 167,000 miles on the counter. Last week i was trying out the tilt system to find a better position, and ever since that moment i have the feeling there is suddenly a hell of a lot more play in the system (up-down, as well as left-right). Just wondering if any of ya'll could give me some tips on what could be wrong here. Logically the steering system should be rigid....right? Could it be that my steering shaft is tired and needs to be replaced? Or could the tilting mechanism be crappy, needing replacement?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Babu, Houston TX

Reply to
Nilanjan Brahma

"Nilanjan Brahma" wrote

counter. Last week i was trying out the tilt system to find a better position, >and ever since that moment i have the feeling there is suddenly a hell of a lot more play in the system (up-down, as well as left-right). Just wondering if any >of ya'll could give me some tips on what could be wrong here. Logically the steering system should be rigid....right? Could it be that my steering shaft is >tired and needs to be replaced? Or could the tilting mechanism be crappy, needing replacement?

This is a common problem with the tilt GM columns. There are 4 bolts at the base of the tilt section that need to be re-tightened. If you are reasonably handy and can get your hands on a few special tools that are needed, it's a "do-able" job. Basically, you have to strip the column down past the tilt section in order to tighten the bolts.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai