poor running/stalling problem solved

Maybe this will help someone else. A while ago my 1990 Cheyenne, 2500 developed a problem where it would start right up normally, then loose power after about 30 seconds and stall. It would then start up fine immediatly after and do the same thing.

Tried all of the obvious things (ign module, fuel filter, check for error codes) but no luck. Since the injectors were wet with gas I did not think I had a fuel problem. Turns out I did. Insufficient fuel pressure. The fuel pump was fine BUT there is a very soft, short rubber hose that ties the fuel pump to the steel lines in the gas tank. That small hose had a tiny tear in it. Closer inspection showed this hose had disintegrated from the inside out. Probably from methanol.

The only way to make sure you have good fuel pressure (9-13 PSI on the inlet to the TBI regulator) is to put a "T" and gauge in the line. These can be bought ($40+) or do what I did and make one from an old fuel filter. I soldered a 1/4" piece of copper pipe in the side of the old filter and connected it to a pressure gauge. Didn't look great but it works, and fits right in the fuel line. Steve

Reply to
Steve

Common problem. Had a 1988 Dodge Dakota in for similar problems. Put a pressure gage before the TB regulator and it showed 15 PSI at idle and about 2 PSI when under load. Dropped the fuel tank, pulled the pump and found a split in the poly tube going from the pump out to the header on top the tank. Most of the fuel being pumped was going back into the tank :) This customer had no problems until the engine warmed. Steel gas line all around the engine up to the TB. Once the fuel in the line warmed a sudden call for more fuel caused bubbles when the line was hot (my theory) you all know the rest of the story.

Reply to
A. Baum

It's been since August of 2011, and sorry to take me so long to write. But, I'm pleased you found the problem after all this time. That certainly was a tough diagnosis.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon