Power Steering looses assit

When the engine is cold the PS works fine. As it warms up to operating temp it looses power so it is almost manual steering. If you are sitting still you cant turn the wheel. However if you put in neutral and run the RPMs up is comes back slightly. I have looked it over and there are no leaks or kinks in any of the lines. The pump is full. I need to replace either the pump unit itself or the steering gear box and wondered if anyone else had a similar problem. The vehicle is an Olds van with 3400 cc fwd, 139 K. I apologize if this is the improper forum but felt that most all GM products would act similarly. Any ideas on which unit it is? TIA GM

Reply to
GM

First I would try flushing the power steering fluid. There is no easy way to do this. One way is turkey baster suck the fluid out of the reservoir and then refill, run engine, turn wheel back and forth shut down and redo. Will take about 6-10 times, figure 2 quarts of fluid. The second option if the you can get to the return line easily is to remove it from the reservoir or pump, the connection off stick the return line in a suitable container. Have an assistant start the vehicle and pour fluid in reservoir as it empties after a quart or so shut off reconnect line refill and test drive. If this doesn't do it is going to be the rack and pinion steering unit. Ether a Moog replacement unit or one from the dealer, unless you like changing rack and pinions. Vehicle will need an alignment afterwards.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Believe you have lightweight debris based on your symptoms somewhere. Clears or floats when the pump is not running. That is, if you have full steering assistance when first starting the engine. Possibly a spongy material that will pass some fluid when the engine is revved.

Reply to
Jonny

Thanks for the replies. The return line is fairly easy to get to on the back of the unit. I will try flushing it out first. GM

Reply to
GM