Power steering nut?

I'm trying to r/r power steering hose on a 95 gmc k1500 (not hydroboost) and I can't seem to find wrenches to fit the hose nuts. 3/4" is too big

5/8" is too small.....starting to sound like Goldilocks. Anyway, what size and type wrench is going to break these things loose without rounding them off. Any other tricks of the trade? Does the pump have to come off or can the hoses be replaced without removing it? Thanks. TomC
Reply to
TomC

18 millimeter.

I usually use a flare nut crows foot with appropriate extension and a wobble adaptor. Pump does -not- have to be removed.

Reply to
aarcuda69062
18mm
Reply to
Steve Barker

I was going to say why didn't he try Metric. The truck is not old enough to be using Standard. Oh sure some Standard and Metric sizes are pretty close and maybe gotten away with other things using standard tools, but if you try Standard and nothing fits, wouldn't you think, "ummm, maybe it's Metric?" 3/4" is 19mm, so a bit smaller is 18mm which is is pretty common size on Power steering hoses on Gear Boxes and Racks.

Reply to
JBDragon

aarcuda69062 wrote in article ...

hydroboost)

Ok, Off to Sears to find the flare nut crows foot. Happy to hear about the pump ;-) Thanks.

Reply to
TomC

JBDragon wrote in article ...

Would you believe that my metric wrench set goes from 17mm to 19mm. I was thinking that it might be an 18mm. Guess I was looking for a little confirmation before starting my tool quest. Thanks.

P.S. There's not alot of room to swing a wrench. Another poster suggested a crows foot. FYI.

Reply to
TomC

WOW, No 18. Some sets do lame things like that. I can understand not having a 20MM or possibly 16MM, but no 18mm? I use Crows feet all the time for Gear Boxes. Usually a pretty long Extension a 18MM crows foot and a Ratchet and you can get the lines off the Box. But it doesn't work for everything, and may not work on the Pump. I may use a 18 MM Crows foot, and a long and short wrench to get the lines all off. All depends on the job at hand.

Reply to
JBDragon

JBDragon wrote in article ...

Yep, I've been to several stores in the last few days and still have not located an 18mm wrench of any type. I'm lookin' in the wrong places....humm.

Reply to
TomC

Try sears. Get an 18mm flarenut crows foot. and a long extension for your

3/8 drive.
Reply to
Steve Barker

On my list of stores to try. Thanks. TomC

Steve Barker wrote in article ...

Reply to
TomC