Power Steering Pump Cooler?

Hello group...

Anyone here ever seen or heard of one? I saw one today on an older restored Ford pickup that had power steering added. It just looked like a tiny little tranny cooler plumbed in right above the pump.

Does such a thing work and would it ever be necessary? I can't imagine what you could do to a power steering system to overheat it...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Scott M

my '88 K2500 has one stock from the factory.... mine looks more like one of those "in the frame rail" trans coolers bent into a U.

if you go offroad at all, or drive in anything that can make the wheels hard to turn at all (mud, sand, deep snow)... your PS system can get real hot real quick.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Put a snow plow on it and run for a couple of hours. Your p/s oil will smell like burnt atf. I put a cooler on mine on the return line out of the gear and flush it after every plow season.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

"William R. Walsh" wrote

A lot, and I mean "a lot" of GM vehicles have a PS fluid cooler. It can be as simple as a long extended return line that is plumbed out along the front of the subframe, to a little radiator that sits out in front of the A/c condenser.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

My 97 k3500 has one stock from the factory. It is mounted in front of the radiator.Really need one to plow with. Also the power steering pump provides brake boost.

Reply to
calhoun

William, I have a brand new one I didn't use if you're interested. Email me at the following address for picture and details.

sabarker at hotmail dot com

Reply to
Steve Barker