Power steering sensor question

Just what is the purpose of the so called sensor or restrictor in the one line at the pump on the 1997 model of chevy and GMC pickups? I have had nothing but a truck that wanders all over the roadway from day one. Numerous wheel alignments, replacement of ball joints, and tie rod ends and idler arm made no difference. These were all replaced at the recomendation of a Chevy dealership to an ungodly sum of $$$ which made no difference in handling at all. Then today someone tells me there is a sensor of some sort that causes this, and said to simply remove this sensor and have a special hose made for it to cure the problem.

So what gives with this sensor deal? Thanks

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

"Roy" wrote

These trucks have a system called EVO. Electronic variable orifice steering. In simple terms, the power steering effort is reduced at lower speeds and increased at higher speeds. There is a sensor at the base of the steering column that measures the relative speed that you turn the wheel at. Using the data from this sensor and the speed of the vehicle, the power steering effort is changed.

Often the sensor at the base of the steering column goes haywire and what you feel is the steering all of a sudden going "loose" at around 50-70 kilometers per hour when turning a corner, or changing lanes...etc. It just feels as though the steering let's go.

Is this what you are feeling? The dealership should have been able to recognize the symptoms as this was an epidemic on these trucks in those years. The fix is to "replace" the EVO sensor at the base of the steering column.

The other option is that they haven't cranked up the caster enough. There were some bulletins about increasing the caster about 1 degree over spec in order to help these trucks track a bit better.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Just wondering if someone can tell me if my '96 K1500 should have an EVO sensor, I've looked and looked and can't find anything.. even my wrench friend looked and he didn't see one.. but he hasn't changed many of them out and the last one he did was years ago.. just wondering if EVERY truck after a certain date had them or if some did and didn't.. seems like most of what i see is on '97's and after.. but some guy told me his brother had one on a '94 chevy.. but he also told me the sensor only cost $10 and it's $50something.. lol

ok, anyway thanks for any info.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

So other than that squirrely feel will it hurt to drive it like it is? I have sort of gotten used to it, and don';t relly feel like plunking down $50 for this item if its not really necessary. Perhaps the hose conversion is a better option, and eliminate this all together.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

Try disconnecting the electrical plug on the valve that is on the PS hose or pump. It might cure your problem. I dont know off hand if disconnecting it will restrict the fluid or let it flow more. It is worth a try though.

Reply to
Scott M