Proof of speed govener on 2001 Suburban

I have a 2001 Suburban, it has a speed govener on it that hits at 96 mph. My son got a ticket and the cop said that he was going in excess of 100mph. Since I know it will not go that fast the judge said to bring in proof that it has this devise on it. I have looked through manuals and went to the dealer with no luck. All they can tell me is that it is common knowledge that it is there. Can anyone help with some information as to where to find proof?

Reply to
pnutt

I think it is limited at 100. Are your tires stock? If they are taller, he was doing over 100. My Silverado cuts out at 100, it won't let you go over that. I would bet your GM service center can provide you what you need. Probably a service call, and the minimum $ amount for the service, and they should provide you with a printout of what's installed against your VIN number. It would be worth it to pay that, instead of the outrageous insurance you will now have to pay if the judge get's his way.

Reply to
Bill

First step. Smack stupid son up side his empty head.

Step two. Take it to a DEALER and have them pull the data from the computer in regards to what the programming says the RPM/speed limit is set at. Have this printed out with a witness there to sign that it has not been altered

Keep in mind that if you have larger than stock tires OR if the vehicle was going downhill it could still be above the limiter. It is also possible that yours does NOT have the rev limiter active.

Reply to
Steve W.

If my son was to drive my truck like that it isn't the judge he need fear.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

Sorry to hear your kid is a moron..... sadly, it's not his fault. I'm afraid it's in his genes.

Reply to
Bob

I must agree with the others here... I'll add that even if you manage to prove that the truck can only go 96mph it wouldn't change the fact that your son was obviously going well in excess of a speed that most would consider safe in a Sub.

Not to mention that arguing over 4+ mph is highly irrelevant considering that the fastest LEGAL speed he should've been going in YOUR truck was 70mph (if he were on the highway).

The cop wasn't picking on your son. He was hauling ass, and he got caught. Rightfully so, I'm sure.

It sounds like you want to use a technicality to keep him out of the trouble he clearly deserves. Why is he above the law? Why not try being an actual PARENT and teach him that there are consequences for stupid ass antics like that?

~jp

pnutt wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

The governor doesn't do anything with the brakes. A long gradual downhill will take you past the governed speed. Why don't you be a parent and let him take his punishment? If he hit someone at that speed he would be looking at manslaughter charges.

Tinker

Reply to
Zopilote

X-no archive:yes Hey come-on guys "boys will be boys" and who here has never driven

100 just to do it once or twice? Yeah sure,now that we are old and hopefully mature we can criticize. The thing is though,the judge will have an officers sworn testimony that the sub was doing a certain speed and the fact that it was equipped with a governor would be meaningless unless you could show road-tests proving that it was in fact effective at the stated speed. Where are you going to do this road test? Bonneville? What expert are you going to hire to verify the results? Skip this nonsense and let the boy pay the piper.
Reply to
brianorion

There are many ways to measure success: not the least of which is the way you child describes you when talking to a friend.

Reply to
Bill

You need to be a parent, not a friend. If he calls you something unprintable, so be it.

Reply to
Commentator