Proper installation of a "fuse block"

I purchased a fuse block to install in my Silverato 2500 HD, and would like to install it "properly".

So if you guys can share what are the guidelines for mounting it in a workmanlike manner, safely and conveniently, I would like to know. Also where would you tie it in. To battery directly? Do I need (as I think) to also have an inline fuse on a wire that is feeding the fuse block?

Thanks a lot!

Ignoramus11615

Basically "make if look like factory"!

That is all the wiring will be wrapped with electrical tape, protected with plastic tubing, and tie wrapped everywhere so the wiring can't move and rub against metal objects (which will cut into the wire over time and cause a short to ground).

Then it is possible for any wire to rub against a sharp metal object and short to ground. For that reason, it is a good idea to install a main fuse to the main wire going to the fuse block RIGHT after its connection to positive.

The positive connection can be at a main distribution point usually which is where the main red positive battery cable goes.

This depends on the total amperage used basically. The wiring form the battery would need to be large enough to supply the amperage previously used as well as the additional amperage used by any add-on devices.

And the wire going to the fuse block would need to be large enough to handle the total amperage used by the fuse block. Not the total value of all the fuses, but the total amperage of everything which would be turned on at the same time (the devices connected). The total value of all the fuses usually is higher. There may be a 15 amp fuse on one circuit, but the device connected may only use 12 amps.

Fuses protect the wiring. Each fuse is the MAXIMUM amount of amperage the wiring can handle safely without heating up or melting. The fuse will blow before the wire heats up if the circuit is overloaded.

Here are the correct wire sizes to use depending on amperage and length of wire...

The amp meters they sell in auto stores frequently can measure only up to 10 amps. This may have worked for a model T, but these days vehicles have 30 amp circuits and 100 amp alternators. Here is a 600 amp capacity AC/DC amp meter for modern times...

Bill

Bill, thanks, I am done, I did protect the cable with two layers of shrink tubing at the point of entrance, and with cable wrap inside the engine compartment. The fuse block has appropriate fuses, of course.

All devices such as inverter and cigarette outlets, plug in via quick disconnect terminals.

Ignoramus30893