Putting a new stereo in 03 Silverado is bad?

I've been advised that putting a custom stereo system in my trucks could harm it, for example I was told that chainging the stereo cansole may cause electronical problems becuase that all the computer stuff all run the the stereo, remember thats what I was told So would it be a good idea to go ahead and install or not, and if so what problems can it cause in your opinion?

Reply to
jmex

I have a 02 Avalanche and that thing has a bunch of electronics in it and I have not had a problem what so ever I have a Kenwood indash DVD/w screen and no problems at all and top of that have a 2400 watt amp running 4 15's in the back and have no problems at all but if you do plan on putting a sub or

Reply to
Charles Ziegler

"jmex" wrote: > I've been advised that putting a custom stereo system in my > trucks could > harm it, for example I was told that chainging the stereo > cansole may cause > electronical problems becuase that all the computer stuff all > run the the > stereo, remember thats what I was told > So would it be a good idea to go ahead and install or not, and > if so what > problems can it cause in your opinion?

i put one in my 04. sales guy told me i needed to install a special control box that keeps electrical stock, so that radio stays on until door is opened after ignition is turned off. Paid extra $40 or so to have control put in when they installed stereo. I dobn?t know where this gets installed, since they put stereo in I have replaced it my self with a new head unit, moniters, speakers, subs, amps, capaciters, etc... I never found this box. Salesguy told me it was part of original stereo and he needed to install one with new radios, I think it is originaly seperate from radio further back in wiring and that he just screwed me out of $40.

Reply to
Maack

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Charles Ziegler

In 03 the electrical was redesigned in the full size trucks. The radio needs a signal from the computer to turn it on so you will need an additional adapter but it will not harm the truck. I was told the same thing by a GM dealer when my s10 was in for warranty work. The code they pulled listed as "ecm lost communication with A solonoid" (there are A and B soloniods in the transmission). The dealer tech must have only read the first half because they replaced the ECM then proceeded to tell me that my aftermarked radio could cause problems with the ECU and if it failed again GM wouldn't warranty it. Well of course I had to take the truck back because the transmission still wouldn't shift and the light came back on due to the failed soloniod. So when I went back in I asked them if the ecm they put in was bad and the aftermarket radio caused it to document that in writing so I could tell the manufacturer of the radio. Well they replaced the solonoid and that fixed the problem.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >>

Mike Levy

Yeah thats what i was afraid off.

"Charles Ziegler" wrote:

Reply to
Maack

You have the ability to control some functions yes, but things like the oil life reset you can do another way so you may not miss them. My 04 doesn't even have the menu on the radio anymore, they took those features out so the only thing I would loose would be the chime. Prior years you could control the number of swipes the wipers make when you hit wash and things like that.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

"Eugene Nine" wrote: > Mike Levy wrote: > > > Some of the BCM "features" are controlled or adjusted > through the > > radio. The radio also produces warning chimes, which the > aftermarket > > one isn't wired to do. Either the OE radio needs to be > mounted in an > > out of the way place and wired with minimal wiring, or there > needs to > > be an add-on box installed to perform the same functions as > the OE > > radio. > > > You have the ability to control some functions yes, but things > like the oil > life reset you can do another way so you may not miss them. > My 04 doesn't > even have the menu on the radio anymore, they took those > features out so > the only thing I would loose would be the chime. Prior years > you could > control the number of swipes the wipers make when you hit wash > and things > like that.

in the 04 to reset oil life you turn key to acc and press gas or brake pedel a few times. I think that is how i always do it. My truck is wt model so it came with the simplest radio you could think of, no cd no tape just am/fm. But know that I read it hear, I do have a chime when I have drivers door open with key in ignition. So maybe the did put a box insome where that im missing.

Reply to
Maack

Hi!

I don't think there is any special box required--the "retained accessory power" features are handled elsewhere in the truck, at least in the case of my 2003 S-10 pickup. With nothing more than mounting hardware and my aftermarket radio, this feature continues to work fine.

Some of the GM vehicles do use the radio to control or access other vehicle functions. The less options you have on your vehicle the better your chances that the factory radio isn't tied into much of anything except speakers, power and antenna. Some hints to look out for--if you hear door or other types of chimes through the vehicle's speakers, then your factory radio may have to be relocated somewhere in the vehicle or you will lose this feature. Looking at your manual can also show you if your vehicle uses the radio for adjustment of any settings. Some do and some don't...I think the majority of the trucks (with the exception of the Colorado/Canyon trucks) don't use the radio for anything else than playing music.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh