Putting the pep back into a 305

Well, I know the basics on how to get a little more back into a 93 305, Sparks, wires, dist.cap/rotor, pcv valve, new air filter, etc., but what else can I do to liven her up a little? Seems a but more sluggish than it should be. I am going to install a single in/dual out exhaust soon, along with a K&N Fipk, but what are some other things that don't break the bank?

Thanks

Reply to
Crooked-Ridez

heh... in order to put pep BACK INTO a 305, it would have to have pep in the first place... haha.

Seriously though, you are about right. A complete tuneup will work wonders. Keep in mind though, it's no 350. It will always seem slow.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Search the web for how to get 345HP at the flywheel from your 305 on a short (rebuild wise) budget.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Here's an idea, why don't you search the web and give us the link? The highest compression pistons I could find for my 305 were 9.0:1, and with some head work she yeilds around 260 HP on a REALLY good day. I didn't have the $$$ at the time for a 350 hence rebuilding the 305. A supercharger could bring her up to 360 HP or so, but for the same cost I could build a

450 HP 350 CID.

305's are dogs and always will be, just love em' for what they are and know what they never will be.

My $0.02.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Why not? Cuz I'm lazy. I was searching for information on head gaskets and that came up. Now I can't find it, so I look like a fool - but that is what it said. If I could remember any more of why (than what I said there) I could probably find it with that. I was pretty amazed at the HP too.

~KJ~

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

It must have been supercharged; no way to get that kinda horsies out of a

305 that's NA.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I don't remember it saying anything but naturally aspirated... and I doubt I was dreaming because I was at work. I even tried finding it in my history but that only seems to save what it wants (basically 400 multiples of eBay pages or junk)

~KJ~

supercharger

Reply to
KJ

LOL....Thanks Doc

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

You have a point. Even the new 305's are doggy as hell. I guess it's time to find a 350, and set her in the garage, so I can build it up.

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

Crooked,

Here's a quick way to get some extra horsies at the rear wheels; it has worked on just about every 305 I've worked on. I'm assuming you have the timing set to TDC, which is spec. If you run 89 octane in her you can advance the timing to 4*BTDC without getting spark knock under load. I've run a few up to 6*BTDC without a problem. They key is 89 octane gas. In my experience, this results in a noticeable difference in off-the-line pep.

If it's advanced too far, you'll get a SES light and code 43 indicating that the ECM has encountered spark knock that it cannot control.

HTH,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks Doc, will this mess with the reliability of the motor? Starting in the winter, etc?

By the way, Call me ED, Crooked isn't my name :-)

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

Thats gonna be hard to do. I never thought they had much pep brand spanking new. 396's and 327's now they had pep!

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http:// snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.comContents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address

Reply to
Roy

I've been running mine at 4*BTDC for years without any problems. Starts fine, runs good, decent mileage, etc.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

So run ONLY 89 octane? Would 93 be too much or better? I run 87 now only because of the ridiculous pricing, but don't have a problem jumping up a few notches... It is at TDC now, maybe I'll give it a try, as this truck has no spunk at all, unless I floor it and load up the cylinders.

Thanks

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

In order to gain the extra pep from advancing the base timing you need to run a higher octane gas. I've found at 4*-6* BTDC, with 87 octane, when you really nail the throttle, she'll start pinging and the ECM will retard the spark advance, killing your excitement altogether. With 89 she runs great at cruise or WOT. There is a noticeable difference in the way my truck runs between 87 and 89, and 93 is overkill for this application.

I'm also running 9.0:1 pistons, slightly hotter than stock which I believe was 8.5:1 and had the heads shaved to get the compression up a bit higher, so you might not need the better juice in order to avoid the dreaded ping...................

Lemme know how it works > >

Reply to
"Doc"