Quality of Gasoline

I was talking with a friend and she said "why pay ten cents a gallon more for chevron gas, when ABC Gas is just as good?"

So lets start the debate, what makes one station cost more, besides the name on the sign. Chevron really better then Arco? why? what is in the fuels that make them different?

I know there are items like ethanol, MTBE and sulfur (just from memory) what other chemicals are used like these?

My truck manual pretty much just says to stay away from MMT and sulfur as best you can.

For my motorcycle, the manual says, "Gas containing MTBE: Unleaded gasoline containing MTBE may be used in your motorcycle if the MTBE content is not greater than 15%"

"Gas/Ethanol blends: Blends of unleaded gasoline and ethanol also known as GASOHOL, may be used in your vehicle if the ethanol content is not greater than 10%"

"Gas/Methanol blends: Fuels containing 5% or less methanol may be suitable for use in your motorcycle if they contain co-solvents and corrosion inhibitors"

So who makes the best gas? and is it worth what they are charging over the other companies?

Reply to
Trey

All gas in an area is most likely made by one refinery. How then is it different at the pump? Each major brand add its own additave package to the gas when they take delivery from the refinery or from the pipeline/storage facility, and before it is delivered to the gas station. There can actually be a bigger difference between the gas sold in one state or part of a state than there is between the brands sold there.

I used to know the figures, but there are at least several hundreds of different blends of gasoline that are specific to different areas, and seasons, between Mexico, the US and Canada. A blend in some areas may change three or four times a year with the weather/temp etc.

Its a merical that our vehicles run as well as they do on the different types of crap we put in them.

-- Diamond Jim The Old Devildog

Reply to
Diamond Jim

I would not put that ethonyl crap in any thing of mine a gain , it screwed up a good 4 barrel carb for me also do not use in in small engine weedeater chain saw etc. A repair shop will tell you this.

Reply to
LARRY929

Modern cars and yard implements are designed to run it:

Running it in a carbureted car is akin to adding water to the fuel, that's why it ruined your four barrel. However, the modern four barrels: IE. Holleys, Edelbrock, and the many Holley clones and other brands on the shelves are made of a different grade of pot/white metal. So they can resist the water/ethanol in them for prolonged periods of time.

Weedeaters, lawnmowers, chainsaws, snowblowers and leaf blowers for the most part have plastic fuel tanks, and the newer alloy carburetors now. So even though it's taken a while for things to progress. It's now safe to use ethanol blends.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

I'v got an edelbrock on my 85 4x4 and i still wont put that corn crap in in!!

Reply to
LARRY929

Obviously you will never visit Colorado and other western locations. MTBE has been outlawed and Ethanol is required.

And, it has been shown that it takes more energy in the form of fossil fuel to grow the corn than there is energy in the resulting ethanol. Yet we continue to re-elect those that support the program.

Reply to
HRL

I ran an 87 Escort 197K miles with mostly ethanol blend and I guess that is why it went down the hill.. Not really , other things caused it to be put to rest...You know total wreck etc. It worked great ! for me. Sorry u had bad luck... Jim

Reply to
jimnluna

You obviously have other problems. You CAN'T find gasoline with less than 10% ethanol in it around here in IL. I've run everything from a

1965 Jacobson lawnmower to my 2000 GMC Sonoma on it. Not to mention plenty of OLD carbureted vehicles. Never once had any sort of troubles.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell