ran with no oil

I know it sounds stupid, but I ran my car just down to the store and back in the middle of an oil change with just the oil in the filter and the filter still on (old oil drained completely but drain plug back on). I had already dumped the old oil an realized I had purchased the wrong oil to put back in. It ran loud as hell 10minutes to the parts store where I got the correct oil and put it in immediately at the store. Its a chevy vortec 1996 I think. Now it taps really bad even with the correct oil in it. I still didnt change the filter yet. If I drain the oil again, can I reuse it with a new filter?

Reply to
stanny

your kidding right? You purposly drove your truck with no oil in it? Just change the filter and leave the oil in it in it....you dont have to drain the oil to change the filter. Just so you know, that trick you just pulled cost you an engine. I guess you could drive it till it dies. When you say taps hopefully its not really a knock. But then again you said 10 minutes to the parts store, with no oil, it has to be a knock.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Troll.

Reply to
scrape

Remove oil filter, Drain oil, drain coolant. Remove engine, toss engine in scrap yard. Buy new engine. Install new engine in truck. Sell truck. Buy bus pass or bicycle.

Reply to
Steve W.

lol, he would probably ride the bicycle with flat tires.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

VBG

I read the original post to my wife, along with some running commentary.

Just now, I read her your response.

She said "Just like what you said, only nicer".

Very funny.

Reply to
Commentator

The oil filter should be salvagable

Reply to
Battleax

He thrashed an engine and you think the oil filter is salvageable?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Sure. If it had no oil, it could not circulate the fragments. Oil filter should be fine:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

. . .

. . ====== ======

========== ==========

========= ========= I agree.

Salvage the filter.

waste not want not.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I was sort of kidding but it does make some sense, heh.

Reply to
Battleax

It might maybe except for two small minor details. He stated when he got to the autoparts store he filed the crankcase and then drove it, so yes the filter is full of garbage now. and two, shesh a filter costs what $5? Thats called penny wise, pound foolish.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

his Next stage wud be to Strain the oil thru a RAG !

Reply to
somebody

Great idea. The oil is almost new. Just get the chunks out of it and put it right back in:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Marsh - Good thing he wasn't changing the brake master cylinder ! ;-)

Reply to
websurfer

. . I agree........

strain the oil through a rag......

waste not want not.

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke.......good thread...the > >

========= =========

Reply to
Marsh Monster

. . makes sense to me..... he did it once..he'll do it again....

why not save a penny in the process.

^ ^

  • 0 L O

~:~ masrh ~:~

======= ======= Battleax wrote:>

I was sort of kidding but it does make some sense, heh.

Reply to
Marsh Monster

From a Motor's tech mag they used to send to shops who used their manuals this was back around

1987.

article was dumbest repairs by DIYs

brake pads put on backwards , backing surface to rotor instead of lining surface to rotors on a ford truck. Owner thought noise was just break in noise that would go away

Station attendant runs out to car women is adding water to, she tells him the thing's over heating, she knows how to cool it off. Problem is the car was a 67 Corvair.

And my favorite, guy pulls in to station late night, convinces pump jockey to let him use the lift, has to get home etc. Brake leak, owner takes side cutters cuts brake line, rolls it like a tube of tooth paste and flattens it with hammer. Car lowered and when he backs of goes across parking lot, across road and into ditch. Gets out and says I don't know what happened, it worked fine the other three times.

Never under-estimate how stupid someone can be.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

He also stated, "I had already dumped the old oil."

Did he flush the old oil down the toilet or pour it down a storm drain or just pour it out in the back yard?

Reply to
One-Shot Scot