Re: 1965 Chevy C-10 Don

I agree. seat belt usage should be up to the driver not some stupid law!!

Reply to
LARRY929

I realize this string is old, but... I agree, you should have the choice, but along with the choice should be a mandatory do not resuscitate order, same for helmets on motorcycles. Why should the tax payers be forced to support some idiot too stupid to take any protective measure available when he's crippled for life because he was launched out his own windshield, or rattled around the inside of his vehicle like dice in a cup. Its funny how professional drivers would never consider a slow lap around the track with out a belt with their peers, but joe blow wont wear one when mixing with amateurs whose driving is usually the last thing on their minds, and even when its on their minds they are generally clueless.

1965 was the year american cars got seatbelts.

And you can not be legally ticketed in any state for not wearing a seat belt in a car not equiped with them. And I have lived in Florida for the last 22 years, and pulled over a few times in pre 65 vehicles, never a ticket. Don, you should have taken it to court, must have been up on US 301, Waldo perhaps?.

As to installing them in vehicles not equipped, in Germany when they make changes like that they are retro-active. So when I took my 64 Nova over in '76, I had to install seatbelts and four way flashers. I really wasn't a believer until the fall of '77 when I took out 230 feet of guard rail just outside Pirmisens Germany with a 327cid powered 73 Vega GT Wagon and walked away from it, after they got the doors pried open.. It took my dad getting t-boned and not knowing who he was 6 hours to get him to belt up when he drives. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Pirmesens is in the south western part of Germany about 50 klic from Kiasersluatern. about 40 klic from the french border town of Bitch. (pronunced Beesh) I drove truck over there, fuel tanker, and also pulled heavy equipment and armoured vehicles.

From the florida drivers manual:

"The driver and front seat passenger must wear seat belts. This seat belt law applies to passenger cars manufactured beginning with the 1968 model year, and trucks beginning with the 1972 model year. It is unlawful for any person to operate a vehicle in this state unless every passenger of the vehicle under the age of 18 is restrained by a safety belt or by a child restraint device, regardless of seating position. If the passenger is 18 years of age or older and fails to wear a seat belt when required by law, the passenger will be charged with the violation."

1968 was chosen because thats the first year seat belts were manadatory in both front and rear seats. From 1965 till 67 they were only required on the front seat.

. Then dont complain about being ticketed when you should not have been, If you wont learn the law and then stand up for your rights you have no one to blame but yourself when they trample your rights.

Its not my choice, death and taxes are no ones choice. But spending my tax dollars to support someone who otherwise would have lead a productive life if he had protected himself is wrong as well. In cases like that I think nature should be allowed to run its course, ie survival of the fittest, someone who gets launched out his own windsheild from not wearing his belt does not fall in the "fittest" catagory. As a former meat wagon driver you should be aware first hand of the damage that happens from not wearing them. Its no ones business untill such time as it starts affecting other people, at that time it becomes other people's business as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

actually taxation is legalized extortion... paying money to prevent harm coming to you.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase