Re: 5.7 RODS IN SB400

You'd be a lot better off with a 350 block if you're not already in too deep. That 400 is one overheating sob. Due to the Siamesed cylinders. Better yet, get you a good 396 block and start there.

Reply to
Steve Barker

sidewinder

Yer gonna be fine-just get the whole reciprocating assembly balanced before final assembly. As an aside those 400 heads can really use some pocket porting/blending to help them breath. Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Tyia,

I used to run a sb 400 and then back in 92' I did a 383 sb. If I had to do it again I would go back to the 400. I know some people feel the 400 over heats because of the Siamese cylinders, but I have had my 383 now for

140,000 mile and it never ran cooler than the 400.

A lot of race cars when limited to a certain CID will and have run 400,s just as long it is kept below 7,000 Rpm's. As far as the long rods (5.7), I wished I would of went with them. If you look at the link below you will see that they only use the long rods in every sb they build and they have only built sb for 20 odd years. The long rods will give you more torque and less pressure on the cylinder walls on the compression stroke. When I go to do another motor it will be a 400 or a big block depending on money. As someone said choose your cam and heads carefully so you can stay around 9:1 compression.

Regards, Chuck

78' Chevy 1 Ton 4X4 Van
Reply to
Chuck Schembri