Re: ?? about GMC Sonoma 4cyl

Yesterday evening as I was driving home from work, all of a sudden my

>'97 GMC Sonoma (4cyl) makes a quick "thump" sound and a gentle lurch >(it felt as if I had driven over a cardboard box or something on the >road - not an intense feeling, but definitely noticeable), then the >truck lost all power and stalled. I managed to get it on to the >shoulder, and now the engine tries to start, but will not turn over. >Also, as soon as I turn the ignition on, I notice it has NO oil >pressure. All my gauges were reading normal before this, and we've >had no other engine problems since we've owned it. We've never had >any puddles or anything under the engine block, no smoke from the >exhaust, nothig out of the ordinary. > >It's at the mechanics as I write this, I'm just wondering if anybody >might have some idea what the problem might be. (I'm keeping my >fingers crossed that it's something simple!) > >Thanks!

The gauge WILL read no oil pressure when the truck's not running. I had a similar thing yesterday on my 4.3, had a slight thump, radio turned off then on, but the truck never stalled. Noticed my voltmeter was reading REALLY low, my alternator died. Was able to get where I was going and then home, replaced the alternator today. You may have a similar situation. I know newer vehicles don't like to run if the voltage is too low.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Dropped a rod it sounds like.....

Reply to
David Algie

Heh, that sounds a little extreme. That would make a bit more than a thump and gentle lurch. B

Reply to
Battleax

---------------- My guess.......Fuel pump. I'm thinkin the noise was something else from when it died. Let us know what it was. I've got money riding on it :)

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks for all the advice - turns out the timing chain broke. yeesh - pretty pathetic for a truck that has only 65K miles on it. As much $$ as we've put in to this P.O.S. lately, we're going to keep this stupid thing until our 3 year-old is ready to start driving!

Thanks again!

Reply to
causemaker

Jeez that is bad for 65K. I would have NEVER guessed that.

Reply to
Scott M

The Chevrolet and GMC 2.2 Liter I4 is a peice of shit, worse 4 banger ever made. anyone who says otherwise must have had damn good luck with them, espically if your head gasket hasnt gone bad yet, also the Pontiac Sunbird and Chevrolet Cavilar 2.0 Liter OHC from the Eairly 90's.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove