re-curve timing question

I need to re-curve the timing advance on my '69 GMC with 350 ci,reason being that I had a low compression engine installed.I remember reading about how to do it once in a mag but I don't remember how to set the base timing.I have a bunch of different springs and I always use an adjustable vac advance on all my pre- computer vehicles,so I can do most of the job.I also need to know if I should do this on a hot day,ie.the full throttle runs and part throttle runs.Wouldn't it knock easier on hot days? ```Thanks

The timing being off hasn't bothered me that much until gas hit $2.32 this week and 10 MPG isn't cutting it!

Reply to
Brian Orion