Re: Failed Emissions

1991 Chevy with 350. When I bought it it already had headers and true dual

> exhaust, as well as a hypertech chip installed. > > Last year I had to replace the EGR and one of the cats to pass. After that > I did a full tune up, plugs, wires, ignition the whole thing. > > I also recently had the oil changed. > > The tech at the shop thought the following numbers indicate the EGR and > possible cat. > > High Speed > > Standard Current Result > HC 126 149 FAIL > CO 1.38 0.5 PASS > NOx 1269 2568 FAIL > > Low Speed > Standard Current Result > HC 129 153 FAIL > CO 1.08 0.41 PASS > NOx 1369 2371 FAIL > > I am planning on removing the Hypertech chip, and will check the EGR valve > to see if it is working properly. Any other thoughts? > > Troy

Troy,

The hypertech chip forces the engine to run a richer A/F mixture, hence more HC's in the exhaust. By screwing with the fuel map and ignition timing it also produces a hotter burn, which increases NOx levels. I've yet to see an EGR take a dump within a year of being replaced.

Remove the hypertech chip, dump the stock PROM in there and see if she'll pass. If NOx is fine and HC's are still up, the cat may need to be replaced.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

hasnt had one recently just in case it isnt just the :)(I like that little addition Doc) hypertech chip causing it to run a little rich. I thought those stupid things only richened the mix at full throttle. It is possible that the rich condition ruined the cat/s.

Reply to
Scott M

I'm dittoing Doc, but I have a question.... how in the hell did your truck pass a visual inspection with true duals? '91s had a single cat and there is no way you can legally go to a true dual (aka 2 cats) setup.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

it definately didn't come from the factory like that, the 88-98 gen got dual cats in '96. as a matter of federal emmissions laws, going from a single to a dual cat setup isn't allowed, you're not even allowed to change the stock one if it still functions. I guess you must have gotten lucky with your inspector.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

like

Reply to
sidewinder

Unfortunately you can't do that anymore, not with the emissions testing since everything is now linked to a central database and they track the sticker numbers.

Reply to
Troy

Now throw that damn Hypertech chip in the garbage, or better yet put a bullet it in first, then throw it out!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Actually I just put it on EBAY.

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
sidewinder

Do not waste money for experimants. Replace catalytyc. 70$ catal + 40$ labor = 110$ and problem is gon. 5 years warranty = 2 smogs. This is the place: Chavez Mufflers (562) 622-4607

5811 E. Imperial Hwy. South Gate, CA. 90280 I did, and I am happy. K.
Reply to
Krzysztof

Reply to
sidewinder

Not only a spammer, but a really f'in stoopid one eh?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I am not a spammer. I just wanted to help somebody. Sorry for my bad english. K.

Reply to
Krzysztof