Re-index ingnition switch?

What does it mean to "re-index an ignition switch"? Is this just a matter of disconnecting the ignition switch plug with key and turning the aperture so it is in the right position? I told them it should take all of 30 seconds if that was the case, but they insisted it needed to be "re-indexed" and would take 1-2 hours. Can anyone explain?

That is my question, now to vent..it is cheaper to visit both my dentist and family doctor than to get car repaired at a dealership. Total bill was about $400 to also have starter replaced and using my starter!

And then they wanted to sell me a $450 service package that was just mostly diagnostic and looking at..that is, very little physically replacing anything except maybe a fuel filter, oil change and windows washed.

I am tired of dealerships taking my $$.

Reply to
Diesel

You have to drop the steering column down a little to get to the switch. Then you loosen the bolts and re-adjust the position of it. I'm guessing it doesn't like to start sometimes or you have to crank the crap out of the key to start it? If that's the case it could be the switch has loosened causing it to need to be adjusted again or most likely it needs a new one....Could also be something else that's broken/loose. But most likely the switch if it was diagnosed correctly as needing "re-indexed."

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

That is what I thought. Takes maybe 30 seconds once you remove the 2 screws. And the charge me 90 minutes labor plus a $110 diagnostic fee. And then some kind of $14.95 Enivronmental fee. What the h#$% is that? What was replaced was the starter.

Reply to
Diesel

Well its not really that simple but... It takes time to get to those two bolts on the switch. You didn't say what year ect. but 1.5 hours seams high but I'm not really sure. Also $110 to diagnose it is high too. There could be a charge for chemicals like wd40 or carb cleaner ect. but "enviromental fee" I don't get. I must say I'm a liitle confused...I'm not sure if your talking about the starter, the switch, starter was replaced but it still has the same problem...?????

Reply to
Shoe Salesman