Re: Motorhome diesel upgrade questions

"" wrote: > Hi..first time posting in this newsgroup. > > I few months ago I bought a 26' Country Cruiser class C > motorhome > built on a 1979 Chevy Van G30 chassis. It has 112,000 original > kilometers on it, or about 70,000 miles and it's in GREAT > condition! > It has a 400CID engine that's not really all that great for > power in > this application. It runs great on level ground with decent > passing > power [for a 5 ton vehicle] but really loses its breath here > on the > foothills of Alberta, Canada. All the usual tune-up items have > been > done but no engine upgrades. > > For my question...is it worthwhile to find a diesel out of a > GM/Chevy > truck and do a swap? My preferred way of doing such a swap > [I've done > some in the past] is to purchase a donor vehicle. Something > that runs > good but is rusted out or an insurance write-off. Here in > Alberta > diesel trucks are as common as fleas on a dog. > > I imagine that a diesel should solve my power problems plus > improve > fuel economy, or would it? Would such a swap be much more > difficult > that the usual gas engine swaps? Does placing the diesel in a > van add > more problems? What would be the best diesel to search for? > > Any advice/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Any web > links > would be helpful, if any exist. > > Thanx in advance. > > > -- > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com > (Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94) > > "What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman > > Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at > my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.

It can be done and has been done as long as you have room for the motor being that it will be bigger than the 400 and there is extra wiring you will have to do and battery placement as well.

For power,it will depend on how the motorhome is geared,wheather it has a low gear or a high geared rear end.

Reply to
Shakes73

Any diesel he can fit in that chassis will likey be slower than now and will require a regearing too. Not worth the fuss and expense.

Reply to
SnoMan