Re: rough running 250 straight six

Sounds like the timing chain is stretched way out severely retarding the valve timing which screws up the ignition timing cause the distributor is run off the cam. Remove the dist.cap and observe the rotor button while rotating the crankshaft back and forth....this will indicate how much slack is in the chain. Any slack is too much.........!

Reply to
Mad Dog

Key words "250 straight six" translation, no timing chain, gear to gear.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Oops.....my bad

Reply to
Mad Dog

Thanks for all the help. I have been able to get the timing adjusted. I found several things wrong after going back a double checking everything. The #5 spark plug was broken where the porcelain mates to the metal. So needless to say no fire to #5. I also found several vacuum leaks, mainly ones going to the emissions canister. I've replaced the manual tranny, installed a TH 350, cleaned the carb, installed a rebuild kit, and upgraded the manual brakes to power. I should have the old truck on the road real soon. Thanks again for everyone's inputs.

Chris

Reply to
tiger69k