Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

Considering S10 or S15 new truck purchase, and I see they all

> come with a couple of unwanted "features" as standard equipment. > > Daytime Running Lights: > No thanks. If I want lights, I'll pull the switch. I've > heard a rumour the military/government/police packages do not > have these. Anyone know how to get rid of this anti-feature? > > Electronic Key: > As part of an optional anti-theft system for city folk, this > might be an acceptable inconvenience, but I really need the > simple reliability of a basic mechanical key. Anyone know > how to kill this system? >
Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Not sure where you'll get a NEW S-10/S-15, they stopped making them in '03. DRLs can be defeated on each ignition cycle, but it resets when the truck goes off. Not sure the S-10/S-15 ever had a key with a chip on it, so that's not really an issue.

Now, if you're talk>Why would you want to disable your day time running lights? It is for your

Reply to
Mike Levy

How?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
Mike Levy

I would also like to find info on disable the DRL on my 2002 S-10. Would really like to put in a switch to make it my option. Don't have a problem with the auto headlamps, but think the DRL is wasting fuel for nothing and adding to the visual clutter of the road plus the obvious of making the motorcyles harder to detect. There are websites on this, but nothing for a late model S-10. Pete

Reply to
Pete

Wasting fuel? The minimal amount of energy it takes to power those lights is NOT gonna make a fuel mileage difference.

Reply to
Mike Levy

I tend to side with Pete on this. Its going to use a "Very Little amount of fuel" But If you add it all up for the life of the vec, You also have to think of what else this causing shorter life on other parts as well.

Alt, Light bulbs, Etc,Etc Granted Its not much. But If the guy drives 40000 miles a yr. And keeps the car 3 yrs it might save 50.00 on gas.

Reply to
Kevin

I would like to be able to just turn the lights off period. It's simply a problem of pulling into a canted driveway and illuminating the interior of the neighbor's house in front of my truck. This is just one example. I have been blinded more than once by a vehicle that cannot turn it's lights out once it has come to rest with the engine running. I agree that DRLs are safe on the highway but they can be just as unsafe in other situations where the truck has come to a stop but the engine must keep running....

Regards

Reply to
Messenger

No offense, but can I have some of what you are smoking?

I have never understood this constant chatter about the evil nature of daytime running lights. They are a proven safety feature, and even if they were not, I fail to see why they are so objectionable. I suspect it is simply an attitude of "I am being told I HAVE to do something, therefore I must find a way to NOT do it."

Reply to
Commentator

exactly

kind of like the Stamp Act

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Judging from your comments, it seems that you are confusing the DRL's with the Automatic Light Control. Daytime Running Lights only come on during the day, hence the name. Setting the parking brake on my GMC *before* starting the engine, disables the ALC until I release it. H

Reply to
Hairy

I *am* confusing the two features and thanks for clearing it up. The DRL feature is my friend but the Automatic Light Control is not.

So, going back to the problem of coming to a stop and wanting to turn my headlights off *after* the truck has already been started is what I would like to be able to do. Engaging the parking brake in this situation doesn't turn the lights off. Is shutting the engine off, engaging the parking brake and restarting the engine my only alternative with these automatic headlights??

Regards

Reply to
Messenger

On my '04 full size, you just twist the headlamp switch to the left to turn 'em off. Don't know if you have that option, or not.

KB

Reply to
KB

Any S-10 after 2000, just press the dome-override 4 times in a short period of time and the AHLs get disabled. This gets re-set every ignition cycle.

Reply to
Mike Levy

I don't have that option but wish I did. The lights are on when the sensor says that it's dark outside.

Regards

Reply to
Messenger

I'm stuck in 1999 and if I'm not mistaken again, this only pertains to the DRLs. I'm working on the Automatic Light Control in the after dark mode....

Regards

Reply to
Messenger

Google is your friend. I bought an aftermarket switch that I can choose to have my automatic headlights on. I NEVER choose the auto mode, except in the daytime. The switch also controls my DRL's and I like them in the daytime. For headlights, I use the headlight switch. If you can't find a thing similar to mine, there are a million pages out there that will tell you to put a resistor in the sensor wiring.

Reply to
George