Reading Codes on a 1999 Suburban

Is OBDII the type of connector on a 1999 Suburban? Also, where do I go to find out what the code means?

My check engine light is on, but the truck is running good, I suspect maybe a leaking dougnut gasket on the exhaust is to blame. Either that or the air filter might need changed, which I plan to hopefully get to both tonight, but I'd like to be certain.

Reply to
MASTER Brian

While on the subject what about reading codes on a 1992 Suburban? The check engine light on that pops on under heavy acceleration, but goes right off, when the vehicle is stopped. I suspect the EGR valve is to blame on that one, but at $80+ I don't want to replace it if not necessary. Like I said the light goes off after turning the vehicle off and may not come back on for several weeks.

Reply to
MASTER Brian

OBDII is the emissions standard that applies to a 1999 Suburban.

Google

Certain is good.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Paper clip.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

What about "Paper clip"?

Reply to
MASTER Brian

Thanks, I picked up an OBDII code reader and it gave me a 420 error code. According to a code book that came with the reader, that translates into a Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) error. That would lead me to believe I am correct on the leaking exhaust gasket, as there is an O2 sensor on the exhaust pipe right below the leaking gasket.

Reply to
MASTER Brian

All you need is a paper clip.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

If the exhaust leak were effecting an upstream O2 sensor, you'd get a lean mixture code, as these trucks have a history of less than robust catalytic convertors, odds are that you will probably be replacing them to extinguish the SES light.

Anything but an OEM convertor is a waste of time and money.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That is a very good assumption, but it could also be a worn out CAT or the o2 sensor itself. I would fix the leak then disconnect the battery ground for a few minutes to clear the code. Or use the tool you bought if it will clear codes. then drive it and see what happens. I bet that will fix it.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

well, a paper clip and info.

that should help

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Did he say WHERE the leak is, near which sensor?

OEM converter?, you must be made of money. Or you sell them for a living. I would buy anything BUT an OEM just because they are overpriced. In my area if you pay more than about $120 for a single CAT installed you got ripped off. (there are exceptions but probably not on that truck)

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Doesn't matter, if the leak were effecting an upstream sensor; he'd see a lean indication. If the leak were effecting a downstream sensor; the downstream sensor wouldn't be cycling the same as the upstream, which is what it takes to set a cat efficiency code. A little logic applied to how the cat monitor works goes a long way...

Aftermarket cats are 40% efficient, OEM cats are >75% efficient, which one is going to keep the light off? Spend your money wisely and you'll only cry once.

Reply to
aarcuda69062