REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk.

I was thinking the same thing. Diesel is injected, just like most modern gas engines. The main difference is ignition. It's like the dude was trying to imply gas engines still have the air and fuel mixed before entering the cylinders while diesels don't. Fact is, many modern gas engines dont mix until in the cylinders either.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

If I understood that at least somewhat. Carborated vehicles might see a benift, but the ones with compuer controls will overide the filter benifits to keep the motor operating wthin spec. So you would need a tweak in the programming to realize the benifits?

Reply to
Renegade Knight

Why, it does not operate as a throttle. It actually is a pump. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Erik-Jan Geniets

I think he's referring to a throttle plate (used to restrict air flow). Diesels regulate the fuel delivery & the only intake air restrictions are in place to minimize noise levels.

If 5-6 HP is the be all and end all, purchase & install good oil for your engine, tranny, & Diff. there have been independent studies that have measured a 5-8 HP at the wheel gain from that alone. PLUS. You'll save fuel & potentially increase the life of your mechanical parts.

For the best results? Sell your present car & purchase a more powerful car. Less monkeying around, better reliability, more power.

Reply to
Full_Name

Overhead cams?

I don't think either Chev or Ford sold many V8 Monza's or Mustang II's I think they decided to design cars to better handle a V8 after those experiments

The manufacturers did it back in the 60's 70's & 80's. It usually got pulled off the air horn by people "hot rodding" their engine's

You mean like the 1969 SuperBird, Charger Daytona & Ford Torino GT? I think the manufacturers knew, used and installed these devices on the cars where they wouldn't be ripped off. Keep in mind the environment the cars from the 1960's & 70's were driving in. The plastics, roads, fuel & tires have improved dramatically since then.

Back to my earlier comment. Try driving down a gravel road on a car with poly urethane bushings for more than 5 years. IF you could stand the noise & feedback you'd be back at the dealer getting the bushings changed so often you'd think Fiat is the way to go.

OEM wants to make a sale, & Keep the money, then make another sale to the same person. If you sell a product that won't hold up, isn't suited to the environment or will cause other problems you will either not be able to make another sale to the same person or you will have people asking for their money back (or both).

GM Makes amazing direct injection Diesels in Europe, However the Fuel in this continent is so polluted and the roads are so rough that they refuse to import them (an example of reality getting in the way of a good idea).

A group of highly trained engineers working as a team for GM Ford etc, are more likely to arrive at a more workable automotive solution to a problem than the average K-Tel inventor.

GM experiments & tries new things (i.e. the experimental CVCC 350 they tried years ago) however they won't sell such a product to your wife if it will leave her stranded outside of Fargo on a cold winter day or won't work within the constraints of the EPA or CAFE.

That's life.

Reply to
Full_Name

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:42:45 -0500, someone posing as Steve W. chisled in the wall:

Just my $0.02...

I bought a K&N drop-in filter for my '95 Jimmy at around 70,000 miles. I noticed absolutely no difference in performance.

I later bought a CAI kit at around 120K miles and still noticed very little difference in performance. At around the same time I replaced the muffler and cat with Flowmaster (and whatever the cat was) models. It was at that time, I noticed a bit more OTL increase.

IOW, the filter did absoletly nothing by itself.

On my '98 Maxima, I took a different approach - I ensured that the $1.50 Autozone air filter was changed every 4K miles when I did an oil change.

Having just bought a Saturn VUE on Sunday, I plan to do the same.

This technique provides two advantages - first I don't let too much dirt into the engine, where it "could" possibly cause some future damage. Second, I ensure I always have a free-flowing filter at a very low price.

Anybody need some bottles of K&N filter oil?

Reply to
Perfect Reign

they're both injected, but that's about the total of their similarities. Gas engines still (with the exception of the Isuzu 3.5l Direct injection gasser) inject the fuel into the intake manifold, before the intake valve, whether it be at the throttlebody, like in a TBI system) or at the intake valve (SFI, CFI, MPFI systems). Diesels inject the fuel directly into the cylinder at extremely high pressures ( max injection pressure on a Duramax is 25,000PSI) at a precise time in the compresstion stroke to fire the cylinder. Gas engines are stoichiometric, i.e. they require between 12:1-14.7:1 air/fuel to operate. diesels are lean-burn... meaning they can idle at a

75:1-100:1 a/f mixture.

a diesels engine speed is controlled by the injection pump, there are no throttle blades of any kind. the pump controls the amount of fuel and the timing of the pulses. the more fuel the faster the engine runs, the available amount of air never changes. in a gas engine the more air is allowed in, the more fuel is added to maintain the A/F ratio, which increases engine speed.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

nah ... that want to make a car that will outlast the loan and their warranty by as little as possible

like anything else in this world .. it cant break till the warranty is up

Reply to
LameBMX