Rear Differential Capacity

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra SLE 4wd With locking rear diff. I am replacing the gear oil in the rear differential. Does anyone know the correct amount of gear oil to add. The chiltons manual says to add to within 5/8" to 1 5/8" from the bottom of the fill plug. That is fine, but how can you measure that with any accuracy? There must be a known amount that will put you in that range. Thanks!

Reply to
lefty08

2 quarts should get you close....just fill till it comes out the plug.
Reply to
ShoeSalesman

If you have your owners manual, it will spell it out for you. mine also said not to add any Friction Modifiers.This is for my s10 2003 2wd, I am not sure about the Sierra.>

Reply to
Andy & Carol