Rear Differential Capacity 2500HD

Can anyone tell me the capacity of the rear diffenential on a 2004 Chevy

2500HD 2wd (Duramax, Allison, 3.73 gears)? Also, what type/weight of lube to use - I presume it's 75w-90 but the owner's manual doesn't list anything for the differential. The housing looks pretty big, like it might take a gallon or so (plus additive because it's a locking rear end), but I'd like to know before I get into it.

Thanks in advance - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

It depend on what particular rear end you have. But the largest one takes around 3 liters....so you'd be safe if you got 3 liters. Synthetic 75W/90 is the recommended lube for all of them. The locking rear ends do not require any friction modifier. In fact, the manual specifically mentions "not" to use it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai