Rear end shifting

I am wondering if anyone else has experanced the rear end feeling it is shifting to the side when hitting bumps? I have a 2002 Silverado 2X4 Ext Cab, 4.8L auto. It seems like just recently that when I hit pot holes, the rear end of the truck wants to slide out to the right. The air pressure in the tires was high, because I have been towing a trailer quite regulary.

Thanks

Jody

Reply to
Jody

my '88 K2500 used to do that..... I cured it by replacing my shocks w/ Rancho RS5000's. a 2002 seems a bit young to have the shocks crap out though.... have you looked under the truck for anything amiss?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I've taken a quick look at the springs, and everything looked good ok. Not too interested in spending too much time under it, because it is under warrenty. Just trying to get an idea of where to go with it.

Jody

Reply to
Jody

In article , Jody ruminated:

Typical behavior for a solid axle pickup truck without much weight in the bed. If you wanted a Corvette, you should have bought a Corvette.

Some things that help the bounce: a) reduce the pressure a bit in the tires, and b) add some weight in the back of the truck. But nothing will totally eliminate the bounce. I've owned several pickup trucks by both Ford and Chevy, and all of them had a bit of a hitch in their rear when they hit potholes with one rear wheel.

Reply to
Eric Lee Green

I have owned other trucks in the past, I know that it isn't a Corvette.

It has done it while towing a trailer, so the weight/pressure isn't an issue.

Reguardless of which rear tire hits a bump, it always shifts to the Right. This didn't happen when the truck was new, just started after towing 2000 miles with a 6000lbs trailer.

I climbed under the truck tonight, didn't see any leaking from the shocks, and everything looked tight. The only concern I had was that every bit of paint had flaked off the diff, and cover. Looked like it could be heat related, but a fluid change will determin that.

Jody

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
sidewinder

Fluid change is going to be this weekends job. The diff looks like an old stove, that kind of heat related rust. I have seen no fluid leaking from the rear end, but that dosent mean much.

Thanks

Jody

Reply to
Jody

Jody;

if this is a coil-spring set-up, check the bushings in the sway bar

Also look the bar itself over to make sure the load of the trailer didn't deform it

Just had a car in here that did the same thing, tow-truck operator somehow bent the sway bar loading it !

Regards,

Gary Glaenzer

Jody;

It is still under warranty, if I was you I would take it to the dealer to fix it!!!

Good luck

Hector

Reply to
Hector Rodriguez