Rear Springs

I am looking to beef up the rear springs on my 1996 GMC Sierra Extend cab

1500 (2WD). Will the 2500 springs fit under there? Or does someone know of a place that I can order a stiffer set of springs?

Thanks

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

look in the phone book of the closest medium sized city under "springs". I'm sure you'll find at least one spring shop that can make you what you want.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Really, why didn't you just buy a 2500 truck? Putting stiffer heavier duty spring in your 1500 is just going to make it ride like CRAP! Can you get by for example by adding a Air Bag setup to the Rear? Keep the presser low for normal driving and Boost it up on Heavy loads. You can get a Air Lift setup for Light to Medium loads of 2500 lbs of assistance for about $200, and Super Duty setup for 5000 lbs of assistance for about $300. For around $150 or so you can add a Air pump and Gauge setup so you can add and remove the Air right from Inside the Cab.

Basically the bottom on the Air spring sits on the Top of the Leaf spring, and the Top of the Air bag is mounted to the Frame Rail. You get the best of both worlds. Really if your going to overload a setup using the Super Duty Air bags, you have the Wrong truck anyway, sell the truck and get a

2500 or 3500.

Reply to
JBDragon

If you need just a little boost for the occasional heavy load you can stick a couple of "overload" springs in there. They are good for not letting the suspension sag and bottom out. They also make "overload shocks", they have a spring around them and are good for probably an extra 200 lbs or so.

Reply to
Scott M

Ok, first I thank you for the air bag advice. Since I will not be overloading the truck on a regular basis (maybe a couple times a year when I need a load of firewood, dirt, or construction lumber) it may be the way to go. I do not beat my truck, BUT I need it to overwork now and again. Second, As for not buying the 2500, there was not one available for the price that I could afford at the time I bought THIS truck. Selling this truck right now would be a loss in the checkbook as it is not worth what I owe (as normal with ANY financed used vehicle purchase). Would I like a

2500?? sure..who wouldn't. But not everyone can afford such things.
Reply to
Eightupman

Yes the occasional heavy load...like once every few months or so.

Thanks

Reply to
Eightupman

Thanks.... After doing some research looking at other 1500's and 2500's, and talking to the previous owner of my truck, I found out that he took out the bottom leaf of the springs to make the truck ride more level. He did not carry any loads so he did not care about that. LUCKILY, he still had them at his house stuffed in the corner of the garage. So I will put them back as it belongs and see if the stock (go figure) springs are all I need.

Some peoples kids..............

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

good news about the missing springs. Hell, a load of firewood every once in a while-big deal if you ask me :) Load her up and drive slow, it will be fine. . . .

Reply to
Scott M

rebuilt the springs today...went to hell and high water to find the right U-bolts (two were stripped..assuming for the previous debacle) BUT 12 hours and $136 later..(Sensa-track shocks, 2 U-bolts and assorted hardware) it is riding better than when I bought it. It is definitly sitting up a good bit. I could tell the difference as soon as I sat behind the wheel. Felt like I was gonna slide into the sterring whell if I mashed the break too hard!!! LOL Now I gotta go find something to load in it....................

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman