Reason for poor gas milage

I had a 1995 Silverado Z-71 with 350 engine and throttle body. Got about 13 mpg. Changed engine due to oil consumption. Still got around

13 mpg.

Now I have a 1995 Seirra 4x4 with 350 throttle body engine and still get 13 mpg.

Some people say that 13 mpg with 4x4 is normal. Then someone told me that the low mpg is because it is a throttle body. They said that GM stopped using throttle bodies because they only produce half the hp of a carbuteror and this is why I get low mpg. I should switch to a carburetor which is a major conversion. I later was told that this is a minor conversion and that the vica versa (carb to throttle body) is the hard conversion.

Now, yesterday I was told that throttle bodies produce higher mpg than a carburetor and that my problem is probably a bad O2 sensor or a kinked wire or a plugged catalytic converter(which I due not have anymore). I was also told that a new computer chip could help a lot or that my current chip could be reprogrammed.

So, whats the truth? I can't live like this much longer. Should I be getting 13 mpg or should it be higher? Does throttle body get better or worst mpg that a carb? Would a conversion be practical and possible? How do I know if the O2 sensor is bad before replacing it? Will a new chip help? How much help?

Reply to
sofasurfer

properly operating injected are more efficient than a well tuned carbed. there are tests that can be done to O2 sensors. if the O2 sensor was failing a code would show proper tire size and inflation pressures - insuring the brakes are not dragging - and mindfull use of the pedal are the best ways to increase your mpg - - - IMO

Reply to
samstone

13 is about correct with a 350 in a 4X4. Consider that you have the same basic engine BUT you just added another 750 pounds in the 4X4 gear as well as having a taller vehicle with lower gearing.

In the real world they get better across the wide range of engine operation.

Not practical unless you want to replace just about every piece on top of the engine, the computer, wiring harness and then fail inspection for an illegal modification of the emissions system.

Put it on a real scanner and see what the voltage values coming off of it are. Keep in mind that there are other items that cause low mileage. When was the last time it had plugs and wires cap and rotor? Fuel filter? Air filter? Does it have stock size tires?

Not likely. The 350 has NEVER been a mpg motor.

Reply to
Steve W.