Rec'd aftermarket ignition for '90 G10 van?

Hi folks, Please excuse the lack of info I may have on this van, it is my father's. He does a lot of hauling with this van(a 31' travel trailer!), and I would like to buy him an aftermarket ignition system. This van is his pride and joy, it has a rebuilt '305, auto shift kit, oil/tranny cooler, headers, flowmasters, and upgraded rear end. I'm ALMOST 100% sure it is a G10, but not entirely. The pictures in the link below may help: it was originally a cargo van, but he added the side window.

I think an ignition system would greatly compliment his towing, and possibly help out the MPG too. This is also a work van, so it has to be reliable(ie no race-oriented systems that may overheat and shut down on hot days, Pennsylvania). This is a Christmas gift so I don't want to ask *too* many questions. :)

Anyways, the only thing I know is that this engine is distributor-less, which rules out many of the simpler systems out there(ie MSD, Crane, etc). Since he will have to install it, hopefully something that won't cause him too much headache. I'm thinking maybe a capacitive-discharge box, upgraded coil(s?), and good wires. I am unsure if this is a coil-on-plug setup, or what. I'm hoping you guys can help me out here, to reccomend a compatable ignition system, or at least tell me what 'type' of system I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Jamie

Reply to
slipnfall

I didn't think the 91 Chevy 305 came with any thing but distributor ignition.. Throttle body injection. It sounds like he has done just about everything he can do for power/fuel mileage to a 5.0 engine and still maintain reliability. Stay away from cheap wires and caps and rotors. Try a set of AC Delco Rapid Fires. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Ah you know what, you are right. It was my parent's Oldmobile that I was thinking of. Sorry, I'm really not very well versed with domestic vehicles. Is there an external coil-pack on this engine, or is it integrated into the distributor(my old honda was this way)? I'm assuming this coil is triggered from the ECM, though a power-pack/transistor?

Thanks for the suggestion on the AC Delco's, but I wanted to get him something more than just plugs. :)

Thanks for the help. Jamie

Reply to
slipnfall

Also I should correct myself by saying this is a '90, not '91. Also I'm unsure if that's the original year engine or not, but it is certainly a

305. Are all engines of this erra TBI? When did chevy switch over to multi-port FI?
Reply to
slipnfall

Well I was really off on my Dad's engine: I found this out from my Brother today. Can you guys tell me if this engine is HEI or not? It's a 350engine, distributor-based, with external coil. He said he was pretty sure it was Tune-Port injection, with two injectors. Is there a difference between throttle body injection and tuned port injection?

Does this sound like it has a power transistor, which we would use to trigger the aftermarket ignition system?

Thanks for reading.

Reply to
slipnfall

small block BTW.

Reply to
slipnfall

90 would probably be a 350 with throttle body injection, Computer controlled HEI with outboard coil.
Reply to
Steve W.

As for an aftermarket ignition. WHY the stock system with a good cap and rotor, new wires will handle anything that engine will ever need.

Reply to
Steve W.

I don't see any harm in upgrading an ignition system. Sure this isn't a super stock nova or anything, it can only help, right? Multiple sparks=smoother idle, cleaner spark should be good for hauling, help the low-end out when pulling up mountains. And we can't ignore maybe a touch better MPG.

Reply to
slipnfall

Also worth mentioning: my brother said his engine uses two injectors, which leads me to believe it *has* to be throttle-body injection. Tuned port would have eight right?

So now does this also mean that it has an HEI? If the coil is external, is the power switch/transistor inside the distributor then? This is what I need to trigger off I think. MSD seems to make them, but it looks like I'll be buying more parts than I anticipated. :(

Reply to
slipnfall

Correct. GM has never installed "Tuned Port" injection in the G van chassis.

Yes, it is HEI.

The switch/transistor is integral to the ignition module which is mounted inside the distributor, it is essentially part of a integrated circuit, you can not get to the transistor without destroying the module. The module has seven wires, you better have a wiring diagram or very specific instructions from MSD.

MSD will confuse many timing lights, it interferes with connecting an engine analyzer and sacrifices one nice fat long duration spark for a series of shorter sparks of dubious value on a stock engine, the MSD reverts to single spark at speeds above (IIRC) 3000 RPM and when it craps out (it will) you'll be stuck until a new unit is shipped in or forced to rewire back to to stock HEI (IOWs, a replacement isn't as easy to come by as the stock Delco stuff on there now).

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You know the more I learn about this particular engine, the less appealing it sounds. I thought I would be doing my dad a favor, but this might do just the opposite. If this was a simple matter of power, coil outputs, and a trigger in, that would be different. I'm 2000miles away, so I can't help him install it. :(

Bummer. Well I suppose I'll have to look for something else to get him. Any suggestions then? Preferrably something performance oriented? See current mods in 1st post(+exhaust cross-over pipe).

Also he is really having a hard time finding a *full* vaccuum diagram: the ones in the Haynes and Chilton's don't seem to be complete(so he says).

Thanks for the response aarcuda

-Jamie

Reply to
slipnfall

Not going to make ANY difference with a stock engine. NONE. As for the MSD giving a better idle because of the spark discharge, NOPE. In fact it will do the opposite. It also has a nasty habit of eating plugs like candy. It also won't work on vehicles equipped with the OBD II system because it looks at the discharge and considers it to me misfiring, sets codes like crazy. MSD units have a place on modified engines running with HP parts, but on a stock engine it isn't worth the bother.

As to what you could give him. How about changing ALL the lube to synthetic. Engine, trans, differential. Those will make some difference, especially in the colder months.

The 350 is a gas hog, no two ways about it. They have never been a gas mileage engine. The 4.3 is the same way. Put them in a brick and it really shows. They are both solid, dependable engines that will go over

200,000 miles with no real trouble. The 350s have been built from stock ratings of 160HP and modified they have turned over 900 HP.
Reply to
Steve W.