Removing the TAC (thermostatic air cleaner) on a 89 305 a good idea?

I was under the hood the other day changing the air filter and noticed that the little TAC door was closed. I went for a drive and returned and it was still closed. Seams to be Stuck closed and therefore getting hot air from the manifold. Do i need this? Can i just remove it and plug the hole in the cleaner assembly? If i do remove it what problems will i face worming the engine up in the winter ( i'm in N.S. Canada)? Thanks Steve

Reply to
BIGSteve

well on my '88 K2500's 350 I took the spring off the flapper and tack welded it in the open position 4 years ago. all I need to do is let the motor run for a minute or two before I take off and all is well. I live in Maine, so you should be fine doing the same.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

noticed

getting

Warming the engine is not the only problem you may face. If you ever get caught in a snow storm and the thermac door is held open you may end up with and air cleaner full of snow, or carb icing. Either way, you won't be going anywhere for a while. With the door held closed you'll use more fuel than needed by pulling a lesser amount of air, as well as hot manifold air, into the engine.

The price you pay to fix it will be a lot less than the aggravation you'll deal with in the winter months by not fixing it. You should be able to find a thermac for your vehicle, but if you can't I *might* have one in the garage that needs a home. No cost to you other than postage. Let me know.

Reply to
duroc

Inline.....................

Air cleaner full of snow? Oh do tell.............

Less air volume and HOT air (which is less dense than cold air) results in a leaner fuel mixture. Less gas, not more gas.

I have an open-air, 10" Edelbrock air cleaner and nothing else. Runs like a sonofabitch in the summer and in winter snowstorms. Like Bret said, you just need to let her warm up for a few minutes before taking off.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Wondered about this cause mu Jeep was tbi and had no TAC and i never had a problem with snow in the cleaner or icing.

anyways. thanks all. I'm off to rip her out. Steve

Reply to
BIGSteve