Repair Manuals - Which is better?

Any recommendations or advice which is better: Chilton vs. Haynes? I'm not very mechanical but am looking to learn more about basic maintenance/repairs and would like to know what might be better suited for me? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Klein

I would suggest getting the factory manual form the dealer. I have been mislead by both Haynes and Chiltons books. They tend to be very vague.

Reply to
Useless Tech

Thanks for the advice - appreciate it.

Reply to
Kevin Klein

Absolutely hands down get the factory manuals... a lil more expensive but if that is the difference, then go to ebay and get them used, I have a factory manual for every vehicle I own(or have owned) and really they are awesome. For GM you should be able to order them from helminc.com. If you don't see your vehicle listed, call the 800 # chances are they do have it, just don't list it.

Kev> > I would suggest getting the factory manual form the dealer. I have been

Reply to
89GMC

Both are full of omissions, and too general.

Get the genuine factory manual.

Some specialized tools listed in any of these manuals may not be needed in some cases. Though, a pair of pliers and a couple of screwdrivers won't cut it either. Buy tools in sets by kind. One at time will nickel and dime you to death.

Reply to
Jonny

After having owned about 8 vehicles and doing work on each one with Haynes and Chilton as my guides... I have to support the Chilton manuals... Seems like they have better photo details that are more cleverly thought out. I've also noticed them to have more raw data on various odd things like gear ratios or tank capacities or Cubic Inch displacement. I DONT REMEMBER ALL THE DETAILS, SO DONT FLAME ME ANYONE!!! Heh heh...

Haynes are easier to find. So I am usually lazy and get them. But I can remember two times when I was specifically disappointed... went out and found the Chilton... and was impressed.

Now I wont buy anything else but Chilton.

You asked for an opinion...

But, I do have an uncle who owns a Shop and he stocks Mitchell manuals as well as some subscription-based online download product that apparently has line drawings of every part of every car ever made... but I think the subscription price is in the thousands per year.

Between the two cheapies... Chilton all the way.

KC

Kev> Any recommendations or advice which is better: Chilton vs. Haynes? I'm

Reply to
kcoriginal

After having owned about 8 vehicles and doing work on each one with Haynes and Chilton as my guides... I have to support the Chilton manuals... Seems like they have better photo details that are more cleverly thought out. I've also noticed them to have more raw data on various odd things like gear ratios or tank capacities or Cubic Inch displacement. I DONT REMEMBER ALL THE DETAILS, SO DONT FLAME ME ANYONE!!! Heh heh...

Haynes are easier to find. So I am usually lazy and get them. But I can remember two times when I was specifically disappointed... went out and found the Chilton... and was impressed.

Now I wont buy anything else but Chilton.

You asked for an opinion...

But, I do have an uncle who owns a Shop and he stocks Mitchell manuals as well as some subscription-based online download product that apparently has line drawings of every part of every car ever made... but I think the subscription price is in the thousands per year.

Between the two cheapies... Chilton all the way.

KC

Kev> Any recommendations or advice which is better: Chilton vs. Haynes? I'm

Reply to
kcoriginal

To sum up what others have stated, both are the Dr. Seuss of auto-repair. There's a lot of words and nice photos, but very little specific content :-P

I have yet to get all the factory manuals for my truck, but the Chevy Wiring Manual was a lifesaver whereas the Haynes manual fell severely short.

~jp

Kev> Any recommendations or advice which is better: Chilton vs. Haynes? I'm

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I agree that Factroy manuals are very good but sometimes not too clear. I have both Factory manuals for my vehciles and Chilton professional series going back from present to 76 and they play well together.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Well I certainly appreciate all of the opinions. Sounds to me like the Chilton guide is favored over the Haynes manual but the genuine OEM manual is still the best way to go. I'll have to go see how much the

2003 Silverado manual is and if not too much more just spring for that over the Chilton guide. Thank again guys!

Take care, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Klein

Manuals are like tools. As long as they're useful, you can't have too many. Also, get multiple years, makes, etc. of manuals.

Try getting both tools and manuals used from various sources, such as garbage sales, ebay, craigslist.org swap meets, etc. Sometimes you can get tools or manuals for a buck at garage sales.

Reply to
unknown