Replace ignition switch on 99 S-10

Anyone have any experience? Difficult? TIA,

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

I've replaced one on a '97 Blazer, I think that would be the same. It is not too bad of a job, but a little time consuming. Make sure you have a torx socket (female), I think it is a #4 to take the ignition switch out. I had to buy one special for this, that was the most time consuming (waiting for the socket to come). You can't get at the screw head with anything else to get them loose. GM was thinking of us again! You have to pry the vinyl thing off right where the key goes in, in order to get the column cover off. Don't worry if you are gentle with it, it will push right back on and won't be noticable. It unplugs way down at the bottom of the steering column, someone from GM told me to unplug this and get the new one in within a couple of minutes or it will lockup some sort of anti-theft device. I don't know if this is true or not, but I did mine as fast as I could and had no problems. Good Luck, let us know how you make out!

Oh, by the way I got my socket a NAPA, but like I said I had to order it.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Adams

Thanks Doug, I'll save this post and let you know. Its a friends truck (I have an older S-10 and a question for later) and now I'm not sure its the ignition switch. It seems to work fine first thing in the morning or after its cooled off so now I'm wondering if its not the starter or......

We started it maybe 15 times in a row this morning with no problem.

Reply to
F.H.