replace rear end

I just bought a 97 Chevy 3/4 6.5 diesel (2500) A mechanic going over the thing for me has informed me the rear end is shot. He found grindings in it and purchased a replacement from a dealer. This is my first pickup truck and my first experience with anything like this other than normal repair sort of stuff. The previous owner told me he replaced the trans and the injection pump within the last 18 months. I had the truck exactly two days when it made a loud thunking sound that made the truck actually shudder when backing up or cornering. Any ideas please. Is this gonna? be REAL expensive Thank you

Reply to
captainlarry

I've never pulled the cover off a diff with any kind of mileage that didn't have some "metal flake" to the lube. so the questions that jump to mind are, How big were the "grindings"? Was the diff making noise? How many miles on the odometer? Was it a posi trac diff? did it have the correct fluid in it? Was there excessive play in the axle bearings? Carrier bearings? Pinion bearings? What do you mean by "purchased a replacement from a dealer"? does this mean he went to your local GM Goodwrench house a purchased a brand new rear axle assembly? If so Ouch. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

If it is non locking rear end a new chunk ( the rear end internals reassembled) purchased from a dealer then the cost could be around 219.00 dollars to 384.00 dollars according to how much the mechanic marks it up. GM direct shows the price for 219.00 plus shipping. I just changed the rear end and transmission in my play toy. I purchased it from locally in Louisiana at a GM parts supply place in Houma, LA. The part can be found at

also. Sarge

Reply to
Sarge