Replacing the Airco compressor, can it be done ?

Hi,

I want to replace the airco compressor (or maybe only the clutch) of my

1992 Chevy Van G20. The bearrings are worn.

My intention is to dismantle the front side, take-out the radiator assembly and work from there. But there is also a airconditioner (R12) that has the condensor in front of the radiator.

Questions:

Can the radiator be removed upwards while not removing the condensor ? Can the clutch be removed without draining the airco ? Can I leave the compressor as it is and fix a new shorter belt that skips the compressor ? (I have no airco anyhow, because of a failing clutch)

(btw, R12 maintenance is quite troublesome over here.)

Any suggestions are appreciated

Reply to
Sir Dive-a-Lot

Sounds like a good plan to leave the unit on the Van to replace the clutch. Most vehicle are constructed so you can remove the radiator without removing the A/C condensor. You can even pull the compressor loose and leave the lines on it so you can move it around a little. If it is making noise all the time (A/C not running) a new clutch/pulley should do the trick. If the problem only happens with the A/C on you need a new compressor anyway.

Reply to
Scott M

As I look at it, I think the radiator can not go upward without removing the airco condenser. And if it does, I doubt to have enough space to work on the compressor, with the condensor still in place.

Reply to
Sir Dive-a-Lot

=========================== I guess you better take it to a mechanic then...............

Reply to
Scott M

check this out,

information, pretty quick response,try asking info there, great site

Reply to
Rick De Visser