Request for A/C ignored...

The truck in question is a 1994 Chevrolet C1500 of the W/T variety. The air conditioner has been working very well, and was doing great up until a few days ago when it was turned on.

To my surprise, it did nothing. The A/C indicator came on in the display, but the compressor never started. Nor did any cool air come out. However, there was a very clear click coming from a relay or solenoid somewhere in the dash...leading me to believe that the controller really thinks it is turning on the air conditioner. I've also noticed that the MED/LOW fan speed is completely gone. All others (low, med high, high) work perfectly. Again there is a solenoid or relay click that can clearly be heard for each fan speed "step". I find these two failures very curious, especially since they both happened at almost the same time.

The fuse for the climate controls is good.

I thought--and seem to remember reading in the truck's manual--that if the air conditioner had a problem, the A/C indicator would flash for a while and go out. It stays on solid.

Any thoughts?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh