Resetting Change Oil Soon message

I am having difficulty resetting the Change Oil Soon message on my 2003 Suburban. I've followed the procedure in the manual that says to put the ignition to run mode without starting the engine, and then depressing the gas pedal three times in five seconds, but this doesn't appear to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Malcolm Jones

"Malcolm Jones" wrote

What are you seeing after you follow the procedure? Does the light stay on steady still, or does it flash about 5 times when you start the engine? I've noticed that on some vehicles, the light goes out and stays out, and on other's the light will flash a number of times, go out....but then repeat this on the next key cycle. Eventually the light seems to go out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

It does not flash per manual. It stays steady.

Reply to
Malcolm Jones

Make sure you are floor boarding it, and then fully releasing it. I usually miss it about everytime, because I am not paying attention to what I am doing.

Reply to
Jody

"Malcolm Jones" wrote

I guess you may need to try it a few more times. What you should see is the light (Change oil soon) flashing about 5 times "after" you pressed the gas to the floor 3 times with the key on.

The service manual does mention that if the light cannot be reset, the instrument cluster needs to be replaced. You might want to see the dealership if you cannot reset the light.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Or for the out of warranty repair, the light bulb removed.

You might

Reply to
AZGuy

I have found that it is much easier to reset when the engine is cold. I have tried two or three times in a row to reset it right after driving and would fail each time. When the engine is cold, it seems to reset first time every time. My 01 3500 Duramax isn't as bad about needing a cold engine as my 98 Lumina which requires a cold engine consistently.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer

Be sure your pushing the pedal all the way to the floor Jack And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

29 09.56N 082 10.13W
Reply to
Jack Archambault