retro 5.3/4L60 question

What is the best way to convert this combination into a 70 GMC 2WD truck? Can I use a 700R4 instead to make things easier, or does the computer require the 5.3 and 4L60 stay together? I understand I've got to get an adapter plate and older model tail housing to make the 4L60 work with my mechanical spedometer and trans mounting. Can anyone help?? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Big Dope

Hi,

I have a 72 Burb and changed my stock 350 with a brand new crate 350 (300+HP) and a 700r4, it was pretty easy and other then the cost of the tranny it was relatively cheap and the payoff has been great. I now get about 15 mpg on the highway and 22 freeway in a 72 Burb with that 350 and tranny combo. Here is the web site I bought the tranny from. 700r4.com I live in San Diego, Ca and they are located in Hesperia, CA, but it doesn't matter where you live because they will ship to you. They normally do not install the trannys because they want you to do it so that you are familiar with the workings of the tranny. They have everything you need to hook up the tranny and in your truck if you have a 350/350 the drive shaft will have to be shortened ($75) you will have to move the tranny cross member back about 2 to 3 inches, hook up the tranny, and wiring per their directions and you will shortly be ready to go. They have a one year unlimited miles warranty. They do all the install help over the phone. I was a bit worried about that part when I bought mine, but every time I called ( I had to call about 5 times) there was someone there to help me through any problem I was having. They have to be the best in business in this department that I have ever dealt with. My new motor and tranny have 10000 miles on them now. I bought the stage 2 tranny and have had it for 2 years now and couldn't be happier. I am getting ready to sell my Burb and will miss that tranny. It has definitely been the best I have ever had, and I have had my share of cars and trucks. Any questions you have about this reply here and I will keep reading. I looks like you might already have the 5.3/4L60, and if you go to their web site and look at all the different parts I believe they have a wiring kit that you could use to put that in your truck. If you do not have everything and this is what you wanted to do then I highly recommend this shop. They are awesome...

Good Luck John

"Big Dope" wrote in message news:x2A_b.10595$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.texas.rr.com...

Reply to
John

Thanks John. I'm concerned that the new engine will require an electronic transmission and that an older transmission won't bolt up to it. I found a

5.3L with the option of buying the mated tranny for it for $650. I have read a bit about the 4L60E trans and think I have to spend about $500 to get it adapted to my truck. That's a bit more than I wanted to spend on the tranny.

Part of the adaptation is that I have to buy a new tailshaft and possibly a new driveshaft yoke. I'd rather use a 700R4 or 4L60 trans if I can, b/c I don't have to swap that stuff out ( I think). But will an older 700R4 or

4L60 bolt up to and work with a newer engine? I'll goto 700R4.com to see what they have there. Thanks again.

Reply to
Big Dope

you won't have a place on the throttle body to hook up the throttle cable

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Aren't there adapters that will allow the throttle valve cable to bolt up to the throttle body? What other option do I have? Using the 4L60E?

Reply to
Big Dope

I don't know about adapters, what I DO KNOW is that the geometry must be right on, or else you'll toast a 700R4

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Why not get a 350 that you know will work with the TH700R4?

CJ

Reply to
CJB

I haven't been able to find one for a reasonable price with decent miles. I found the LS1 for a little less than $1k with 40k miles.

Reply to
Big Dope

You might want to check over at

I believe there is a 'conversion' section there, but I know a lot of people in the 'auto trans' section and a handfull in the 'truck performance' section are running non-4L60E trannies behind their LS1 based motors...

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Do you mean the kickdown cable??

Only the newer '03 and above motors are drive by wire...

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

no, I mean the THROTTLE CABLE TO THE TRANSMISSION

it's not a 'kickdown' cable, it's a throttle cable, as it controls both shift points and line pressure, and incidentally kick-down

Reply to
TransSurgeon