rims making tires lose air?

My mechanic has checked my tires and replaced valve stems, yet over a months time my tires will go down an average of 7 pounds. My mechanic has not suggested this, but a friend said that bad/old rims alone can make air loss. True? They are the original rims, on a 2000 Blazer. Possible? I'm getting new tires in a month. Now I'm wondering if I should get rims along with the new tired. Opinions?

Reply to
ChristyLynn

I'd have them examine the bead on the rims where the tires seat, rust and dirt can build up causing the air to seep out. That is if they are steel rims. But aluminum rims can be dirty and be corroded as well.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

The rim bead is normally cleaned by the tire installer. Aluminum does build a small oxide layer, then stops. OP is probably referring to bent rims not readily apparent to the naked eye. And, yes, its true. Such can leak air at a very slow rate. If present, replace the offending wheel/rim, not all of them.

Reply to
Jonny

Ford had a problem with porous cast Aluminum wheels. The fix was to paint the inside with epoxy based paint.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

To me it sounds like the rim and tire have either dirt or corrosion at the bead. When the tire gets down to 23 lbs. pressure there isn't enough pressure to push air past the poorly seated tire.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

Well you are suppose to check your Air at least monthly! You may have a leaking RIM, or a leaking tire, but 7 pounds in MONTHS doesn't seem to really be a problem to me. If your getting new tires soon, and rims are also a option for you, maybe you want to Upgrade to something better. A little larger wheel, Larger tire maybe. Aluminum from Steal. Whatever. Trying to find such a slow leak as that is virtually impossible.

Reply to
JBDragon

"JBDragon" wrote .

Says who?

"a months time" = 1 month.

Reply to
ChristyLynn

I had that happen due to air leaking around the base of the rubber valve stem.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

YEP! How many people actually read them, let alone remember what it said. Tires DO loose air slowly. If you have your tired filled with Nitrogen instead, the Air pressure will stay up for longer because the Nitrogen Moduals are Larger then Oxygen. Costco for example will fill your tires with Nitrogen. I think it's just a waste. On Simi's, Fine for use on the Retreads, Tires hold up better, not Deteriorate as fast. On a Car tire, your not going to Retread them, just toss them and get a new set.

Reply to
JBDragon

If the shop using plain old compressed air has a decent dryer on the system then its almost as dry as nitrogen.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to