Rusted nuts and bolts connecting exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe

Since products containing silicone damage oxygen sensors, what is the best thing to use on rusted nuts and bolts on the exhaust system?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
Ken Brown

Reisingers

Ken Brown wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

CRC power lube is good..........

Reply to
KjunRaven

See if you can find some "Kroil" by Kano Laboratories. Bar NONE - it is the absolute best most incredible penetrant I have seen in my 44 years existence!

"Penetrates to 1 millionth inch spaces, dissolves rust, lubricates, cleans and prevents rust. Displaces moisture. The oil that creeps. " - per the web site

...as they offer Kroil plus Silicone "SiliKroil", I would assume Kroil contains no silicone additives.

Reply to
Panther1

Never used Kroil may give it a shot, but I've always found pb blaster to be good for those bolts on my truck, but to be honest after many heating/cooling cycles I usually end up having to cut/snap those anyway.

Panther1 wrote:

Reply to
89GMC

I was going to say that it's a lot easier to just turn them until they break and get new ones to put it back together.

Tony

Reply to
Tennessee Tony

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Now, another question: what are the best points to jack up a 1997 Chevy Astro if you want to lift the whole front end or rear end at once? I have always jacked the front end up under that cross member(?) beneath the engine, but the van slipped off a new aluminum jack and fell. Also, I have always put the jack beneath the differential when raising the rear end but wondered if it would bend the cover or mess up the gasket. Lately I have used the same points that the stock scissors jack uses. Then I need to find a new place to put the jack stands. Anyone know the best places for jack stands?

As before, thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Ken Brown

Thats the best way I ve found, nicking them first with an angle grinder helps the process along. KROIL is the best penetrating oil I have found.

Reply to
Jimmie D