S-10, 1997, Replacing Heater Core

Hi,

I've got coolant leaking into my cab, and I suspect the heater core. I don't know if it's a bad connector hose or the core itself, so I have to remove the dash to get at it and see.

I'm at a point where I need to disable the air bag. I've removed the negative battery cable, and the air bag fuse, and now my Chilton instructions say to remove the steering column filler panel. What in the world is this? Is this the last big piece of plastic that surrounds the column before getting to the steering wheel itself (not the shroud, which is farther down the column)?

If so, how do I get this off?

Finally, if the core needs to be replaced, any opinions as to a re-built vs. new? I'm leaning towards a new one, to be sure I don' get a bad re- built. I'd hate to do this job again.

Thanks much, DB

Reply to
DBCooper

DBCooper on 18 Aug 2003 had this to say news:Xns93DBC6E80EA2Adbcchutenet@204.127.204.17:

Got the darn thing out. Found out that in and out hoses connect in engine compartment, so any leaks in cab had to be due to a leaky core, and not cracked hoses. Once core was out, I bench tested, and it did leak.

We (me and my son, who owns the S-10) loosened dash so we could just tilt it down to access the core, but are seriously considering removing dash completely for replacement of core. It was a royal PITA without removing dash, but we'd hate to break the core in/out tubes during replacement.

Also, found out that new cores are cheap enough ($50 - $80) that I wouldn't even consider a rebuild, and don't even know if there is such an animal.

I remember changing out heater cores on 1977 LeMans in a few hours...this S-10 was an awful job.

[...]

I told you so :-)

Big Chris

Reply to
Big Chris

"Big Chris" on 19 Aug 2003 had this to say news:bhsis5 $2mggi$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-155860.news.uni-berlin.de:

Hey, Big Chris...Huh? Just wondering, is this your first post to this thread? If not, my news server didn't pick up up your first note.

Yeah, it was a real chore. Now, to install a new one.

DB

Reply to
Bruce

Actually, that was me you replied to... I was tghe one who had the questions about the heater core and the headlight switch...

BTW, thanks aga> > "Big Chris" on 19 Aug 2003 had this to say

Reply to
smullen