S 10 4X4 Question

I have an Chevy S10 Blazer with a 2.8l V6. I blew the tranny today. I am looking at a couple of different blazers that I can use for parts. What other trannys will interchange? Please remove nospam to reply. TIA Rob

Reply to
Robby S

None of em' except tranny's originally attached to a 2.8. The 2.8 has a different bolt pattern than the 4.3 and SB's, hence the TH350, TH400, TH700R4 off of other vehix won't bolt up.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
Robby S

I don't believe they are year specific............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

wiring in the pan changed between 85 and 86

changes are:

pre-86, TC solenoid is fed voltage thru brake switch to solenoid, which had other end grounded

86-up, solenoid is fed voltage thru brake switch, other end is grounded by ECM

putting a pre 86 transmission in an 86-up vehicle will cause immediate lock-up upon shift to 2nd gear

86-up transmission in pre-86 vehicle will give NO lock-up and probably toast it on the first long highway trip
Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Reply to
boogieman

"> wiring in the pan changed between 85 and 86

Also unless I am mistaken, the V6 60degree engines have their own bolt pattern (as doc said) so he can ONLY look at 2.8L beasts, as well as now he has too look at years. Make sure to find out the year of the tranny, not the vehicle. Just because it's in there doesn't mean it's the right year, or wired correctly.

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985 K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

a bit more info:

there is a code stamped into the pan mounting rail, right side near the back

such as 5TK206A

the first number refers to the build year the next two letters (three after 86) indicate what vehicle it was in, this determins wiring in pan next three numbers are Julian date........day of the year last number is shift it was built on

so if you have a '5TK', you want to keep a 5TK in there

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer