S-10 COMPUTER ELIMINATION

Hi. I am a home mechanic who often rebuilds VW's. I have been trying to chase down electrical troubles in a 92 S-10 and have had a gm dealer say its unrepairable(?) Yes, that is what they said. I would like to keep the truck as it was my dads last truck before he passed-on. Would like to remove computer and was woundering if any could give me directions or a source of info on the subj. As always, you guys have been helpful, thank you , Thom

Reply to
THOMAS34Y

Hi. I am a home mechanic who often rebuilds VW's. I have been trying to chase down electrical troubles in a 92 S-10 and have had a gm dealer say its unrepairable(?) Yes, that is what they said. I would like to keep the truck as it was my dads last truck before he passed-on. Would like to remove computer and was woundering if any could give me directions or a source of info on the subj. As always, you guys have been helpful, thank you , Thom

Reply to
THOMAS34Y

The dealer is an idiot if he told you this. First off, you don't want to eliminate the computer, as this is a TBI FI unit, which won't work without an ECM. Secondly, most "computer" problems are a result of simple sensor failure or a chafed and grounded or shorted wiring harness. What I would do is take your time and find someone that is good in electrical diagnosis and have them look at it. Worse case scenario you'll be repairing or replacing the wiring harness that is in the engine compartment (simple job). Best-case scenario will be the replacement of a few faulty sensors.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz