S10 blower motor speed

My 99 S10 w/AC has only one of four fan speeds available; that being speed number 3. Interestingly, my dad's 98 S10 has speeds 3 & 4 only. Apparently this is a common problem.

Can someone here offer some advice on where to begin to diagnose the problem?

I've searched the web and haven't gotten the results I'd like to have seen. I understand there's a 'resistor pack' near the blower motor itself. The parts store shows two relays to control the low and high speeds. Both are the same part number, so I can swap them around to determine if that is the problem. I suspect something else though because I have one of four speeds available rather than two of four.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Messenger

I have a 96 s-10. I had the same problem. The fan would only work on high speed. I replaced the blower motor resistor, and the problem was fixed. I bet yours is the same problem for both vehicles. The blower motor resistor on mine was located in the engine compartment on the firewall passenger side of the vehicle, with an electrical plug, plugged in to it. The unit has four resistors on it (if i remember correctly) one for each of the speeds. They are just a coiled spring, not like you see on circuit boards. On mine they were broken so therefore there wasn't any juice getting to the motor on the lower speeds.

Hope this helps

John

Reply to
John

Thanks John. I will check those resistors.

Reply to
Messenger