S10 experience

Hi All,

I bought a '99 S10 new - currently have 97,000 miles. I'm not particularly happy with this truck. Replaced:

  1. drivers door hinges
  2. starter
  3. thermostat
  4. short exhaust pipe that connects directly to exhaust manifold
  5. clutch master
  6. rear view mirror fell off -- re-glued

The clutch master assy is an engineering design disaster. What should have taken max 20 minutes to replace and bleed took several hours.

What kind of experience have you folks have had with the S10? Is my experience typical?

Reply to
Jeff Williams

It sounds like you really didn't have anything but trivial problems. What are you going to do when you have a real problem?

This would be more attributed to improper installation and/or bleeding techniques.

Yes, very typical. You have a great little truck that is very hard to beat. I'll bet you if properly taken care of you'll get 20-years out of that truck.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Oh, forgot to mention - The air conditioner is intermittent. Also, drivers side windshield wiper arm went bad. Spring tension was insufficient to clear the glass. First time in my history I've ever replaced a wiper arm.

I guess it depends on perspective. I came from a toyota truck where I had my first problem at 138K miles - bad thermostat. As far as mechanical technique, my first car had an oil bath air cleaner and 3-on-the-column ('54 chev). I know utterly crap design when I see it.

Reply to
Jeff Williams

But in comparison I have a 1999 K1500 with a 5.7 liter and have done nothing to it as far as repairs. It's on it's second set of tires, second set of brakes, changed the cap, rotor and plugs once. Other than that just fluid, filters, thermostat changes at required intervals. Nothing has ever broken or failed to work as it should.

Oh yeah I put a CAT back exhaust system on because I wanted to. I still have the original exhaust.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Yes, that would definitely clinch it for me. I would say you have a lemon. I would sell it and get Tundra.

Very true, it's all perspective. I have beaten the hell out of S-10 trucks were I severely overloaded them 2,000# plus payload many times and also taken offroading in some of the harshest places and I have had no complaints.

Toyota makes great reliable trucks if you could just keep the sheet metal on them.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

I put my '78 FLH in the bed and my nose goes 20 degrees up. No kiddin' - handles like shit.

Reply to
Ron Miller

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:09:52 -0400, Jeff Williams wrote something wonderfully witty:

I've own three S-10's. All have been used primarily as commuters with in bed hauling duty for my Harley. My current `02 4.3 liter extended cab LS has about 50K. The only problem I've had is with wiper blades. For some reason the dam thing eats wiper blades like crazy.

My previous two were an `86 base truck with an iron duke and no options. I ran it to 137k over the course of ten years with no major issues other then normal maintenance stuff. It was sold an I bought a `96 LS regular cab which had just shy of 120k on it when some stupid woman ran a stop sign, broadsides it and totaled it out. The only reason I would not buy another one is that they don't make em no more.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

my 96 has 167K on it. replaced: water pump (once) Ujoints (3 times) Alternator (once) Ball joints (numerous times-lost count)

4X4 servo/actuator (3 times) refilled A/C (once) battery (once) drivers door hinge (once) broken and not getting replaced - ABS sepentine belt (twice) belt tensioner (once) fuel tank pressuer sensor (twice -going on three times) fuel pump (once) EGR valve (once) VCM (once - in warrenty) Tail gate cables (twice)

Still have not replaced: Oxygen sensors or shocks

It is beginning to rust thru on the bottom of the tail gate

THe transmission is giving me ttroubles now ( some slippage and jerkyness)

Luckly, the wipers have not acted up.

I believe this to be typical of an S10. Consumers reports rated it worst than average on repairs (for a 96). ALL in all, It's not the most reliable but I've had alot worse.

Reply to
JMagerl

I hate to sound like a dick, but the reason that S10 is going screwy is because it's a mini-truck. I've never had good experiences with mini-trucks.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

This is so weird for a mini-truck. NO electrical problems mentioned. My '88 had nothin wrong but electrical issues!!!

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Well there is some truth to what you say as I believe the same. The reason I prefer to drive a full size truck over a car is they're built heavier than cars or light trucks and seam to require less repairs. At least in my experiences.

Brian

mini-trucks.

Reply to
el Diablo

I've been lurking here for a while, and thought I'd jump in on this topic.

I bought my first GMC S-15 (1988) when it was 6 years old w/ 90k miles. I did normal maintenance with it, had some repairs, including freeze plugs, starter, distributor cap, combination valve and the like. Sold it to a friend w/ 155k on it. (then the engine went a few months later...)

I then bought the 93 Sonoma I have now. Bought it in 1999 w/ 44k miles. Both trucks are 2WD, w/ the 4.3L and AT. The '93 has been much worse for repairs, but it has the 4.3 high output engine - fuel injector alone was $1100 to repair. 2 EGR valves, intake manifold, starter. But, I have to say, the '93 is still on the original rear brakes and shocks at 107k. It's used primarily for commuting, but does get loaded up when we go camping, including a 1500-mile road trip at 102k miles. Fuel economy still running around 20 MPG.

Reply to
JRGage51

Sounds about right, was probably leaking, right? Seals get old and weak.

Shocked it wasn't more than this, though my 94 Jimmy's alternator didn't go till 110,000.

Ball joints on these can be "checked" as worn and really not be.

Common problem with the platform

Again, shocked it wasn't more than this.

Should have been at least double, this is a maintenence item.

Got 110,000 on the aforementioned Jimmy's pump. Not terrible, but also not great.

Shall I list my 94's problems. Keep in mind, this was only between

1998 and the end of 2003. Between 61,000 and 115,000 miles.

Fuel tank rusted through Fuel pump Various rust spots

2 full tune-ups Intake gaskets (once) Alternator Fuel injector (common problem, truck had the CPI motor, had the spider injector) Tires Brakes, including one master cylinder Heater core Oil changes Low-pressure switch on accumulator for A/C, caused intermittent operation 4x4 vacuum switch CV shaft Shocks

That's all I paid out of pocket for. I had other misc. items that were covered by insurance due to a couple accidents. U-joints never failed, ball-joints were still good, steering linkage was still good, all OE AFAIK. My EGR was done at no cost to me, special policy coverage that has since expired. Covered replacing the EGR and the PROM to prevent carbon blockages.

I went ahead and bought a 2000 S-10 in Dec. I was happy with how the old truck performed, how it held up to my abuse, was involved in TWO accidents doing nearly $6,000 damage each time, I came out un-hurt and the truck drove perfectly fine after repairs. I also knew, after the first truck, the basics of working on the platform.

Now, to start making more money so I can take advantage of the aftermarket support this truck has for modifications. Just simple, such as exhaust, ignition and a re-programmed computer...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Drivers door hinge is a maintenance (wear) item??? This would be a new low in the automotive world.

Reply to
Ron Miller

Not the hinge, the belt

Reply to
James Del Mul

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:48:34 +0000, Ron Miller wrote something wonderfully witty:

Mine certainly does squat with my `99 FXSTC in it, but the handling actually improves. I really wanted to get one of the new style F-150's, but I am a cheap bastard and will not pay 25k plus for a truck with little to no options.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Good lord... what's the difference between the high output and the regular 4.3L engines? I just replaced both injectors on the 4.3L in my '93 C1500 fullsize, and they were $60 a piece.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

No, I was speaking to the serpentine, not the hinges. Should have separated them but it was late...

Reply to
Mike Levy

The HO was the CPI "W" engine. Replacing mine cost me $300 in parts and did my own labor, but it's a little more involved than replacing TBI injectors. The upper plenum has to come apart to get to the injector...

Reply to
Mike Levy