s10 humming noise

I have a 2000 S-10 2.2L Auto. / 64k miles. When the engine is cold (not necessarily temp outside) I hear a whirring noise like it is a vaccum or intake noise. But never fails when engine warms up and gets to ~950 - 1000 rpms it stops. I have already checked all my hoses, listened on top of the engine and bottom and watched with a shoplight. Installed new alternator and air charge temperature sensor (sensor on air tube near air filter box). If I unplug the air temperature sensor near air filter box and start the truck it doesnt make the noise at all. If I plug it back in to the new or used sensor, it starts making the vaccum noise. I am not getting any codes, have had it checked 3 different places. Checked all fuses as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Chad Wilson

Is it possible your hearing the mechanical fan before the hydraulic clutch has a chance to warm up? When it's cold it will turn in direct relationship to the RPMs of the engine. Once it's warm, the clutch function will actually kick in.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

This is a noise that has recently started. I think I know the noise you are speaking of is it like a roaring sound like when ya first start it and take off? This isnt the same kind of sound. It will also do it when driving down the road. I was also told it could be a belt tensioner pulley, replaced it as well and it is still doing it. Any other ideas.

Thanks for your help, please keep the ideas coming :)

Reply to
lithod02