S10 rear end swap

I've got a 98 S10. It's an odd duck as it's a 4x4 with a 7.6 3.08 rear. And it's open. I'm not doing another winter with an open diff. I'm not going to weld the spider gears or get a spool, because I need this thing to remain streetable. I figure these are my options:

1) purchase new ring & pinion and G80 locker through for around $1000--this is more than I want to spend 2) swap in the Torsen diff from a late model fourth gen F-Body for around $400 and keep my ring & pinion--is this even possible??? 3) purchase another brand of locker (power-traxx? auburn posi?)--does anyone have any other suggestions??

So, without welding or putting in a spool, what should I do? I definitely want to spend less than $1000 and I definitely want some sort of locking rear this winter.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dirty Dave