S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

Considering S10 or S15 new truck purchase, and I see they all come with a couple of unwanted "features" as standard equipment.

Daytime Running Lights: No thanks. If I want lights, I'll pull the switch. I've heard a rumour the military/government/police packages do not have these. Anyone know how to get rid of this anti-feature?

Electronic Key: As part of an optional anti-theft system for city folk, this might be an acceptable inconvenience, but I really need the simple reliability of a basic mechanical key. Anyone know how to kill this system?

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

You're probably gonna do a lot of cussing. My 99 has automatic headlights and they are "difficult" to make back to manual. If your daytime running lights are seperate, simply pull the fuse. If they are part of the high beam system, pull the relay. I think the electronic key is still just an option. The way I read, you can't disable thing at all. You can't even change the entire ignition switch without it.

Reply to
George

You will find various posts about ways to abort or work around those keys.

Reply to
nailman

My kid has a Olds 88 with a chip in the key. One of his keys doesn't work. Its a resistor type of thing that when inserted becomes a proximity chip. If the resistance doesn't match, the key won't turn. You're right, of course. There are ways to beat it. Its just not very feasible for the average shade tree guy. Its all wired through the computer system and since its part of an anti-theft circuit, it is difficult to just bypass the damn thing. I'm sure that it doesn't even slow down a crook, but it sure as hell confounds the consumer!

Reply to
George

Depends on the year there were different systems of theft prevention. Usually they can all be bypassed with a simple module designed to work with a remote start systems.

Reply to
Eugene