Safari exhaust

Hi, I recently noticed that my whole ex system was shot. I mean completely worn out, even the header collector was cracked . I got a small grinder and cut off every bit off the old rusty system till it was all gone except for the crossover. I unbolted the crossover and had to reweld all the broken welds at the collector. then I reinstalled the crossover, and clamped a small turbo muffler directly to the collector. Then I used an old pipe i had around which was the perfect bends to come straight out to the side under the door, with a down tip on it. I clamped it all up, and hung it good from the frame.

It sounds so nice now, not to loud , but alive for sure. cost me under five bucks for the clamps and the down tip. the pipes and virtually new muffler I tore out of a wreck.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

here in maine, unless you're driving a pickup w/o a cap on it, your exhaust can't be dumped under the body at all, it's gotta make it to the outside of the vehicle.... pickups have to have a turndown at least 18" from the rear of the cab.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I doubt it is more lenient :- )

Reply to
KJ

Your state is more lenient than most. Got to make it to the rear axle, here.

Reply to
John Alt

I dont live in a state thank god ! I am In the best country in the world ! Canada.

My exhaust doesnt dump out under the car at all, it dumps down and out at the side towards the curb. if it were a truck, not a van I would say it would be at least 18 inches behind the cab in length because the turbo muffler is exactly 18 long.. It comes out just ahead of the leaf spring mount of my safari, under the slide door, the tip down just shows to the outside, no other parts are visible unless you look at it from underneath. I can post a photo if anyone is interested.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

Brake tag? BRAKE TAG!?! We don't need no Stinkin' Brake Tags!!!

Reply to
John Alt

Vehicle Inspection Sticker. They do it yearly here. Gets its nickname from the usual test procedure. If it stops before it hits the back wall of the bay, it usually passes.

Reply to
John Alt

Oh I See, Well actually, the brakes are the next item on my safari's list of items needing attention, but, I dont have to pass any inspections except my own.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear