saga of the wiper motor

1989 s10 2WD

Wiper motor stopped working - had checked for power to the motor 4 weeks ago (with a buddy's voltmeter - we BOTH saw power to the 4 prong plug) so I ordered a used motor - I get it, plug it in , nothing - voltmeter shows nothing at the connection - pulled the fuze ; NO power at the fuze with the wiper control set to high ( pulled the radio fuze - fine at 13 volts or so )

WHAT is going on ?

Reply to
barret bonden

My wiper system is acting up too. (86 1/2 ton). It was struggling and would stop mid swipe, so I replaced the motor with a rebuild last summer. It worked better, but still seemed to be struggling. Now the swipes are getting slower and slower and I'm afraid it'll stop again soon. Is there a way to lubricate the transmission or the bearing? Or do I need to replace them too?

-JD

Reply to
John D

Check both sides of the wiper fuse, if they are both dead then you have a bad connection to the fuse box. That will have to be fixed first. If you have power to one side, put a good fuse in it, turn on the key, turn on the wipers, then check for power at the motor. Just fyi, the fuse is first in the circuit, then the switch. It should have power to the fuse with the key on no matter what the switch is set at.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Radio fuse is downstream of the Run/Acc contact of the ignition switch. Wiper fuse may be downstream of a 'Run Only' contact. If this is the case, and you were in ignition-run, you could have a bad ignition switch. Or if there is anything else not working you chould have a blown fuseable link.

As stated if ignition is on then you should see power in the 4pin connector and if the switch is in high you should probably see power on

2 of those pins.
Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert