seized drum brake

I have a 1989 chevy k1500. Seem to be having issues with drum brakes seizing up on me. A month ago, I was pulling out of a drive through and noticed how sluggish the truck was acting. I pulled into a parking lot and came to a stop. The truck would not budge. After 2 hours, I went back, put the truck in reverse and voila, it was like nothing happened at all. I went to see a mechanic and he looked everything over and said it all looked good. He said sometimes they lock up (for whatever reason) and that reversing will self adjust the drums.

Tonight, I'm leaving the arena, I go over a speed bump, and all of a sudden, stupid wheel is seized again!! Any ideas out there as to why this is occuring??

Reply to
thirdeye

Did this start to happen after a brake job? Maybe a spring was not put on or put on wrong. Does this happen right after appling the brakes? Maybe a the wheel cylinder is getting corroded.

Reply to
Doug Adams

No, it didnt happen after a brake job. After the first time, i got them to look at it and they cleaned them and adjusted them again and said everything looked okay. I drove it a month after that then tonight i put the brakes on slightly as I approached that speed bump.

Reply to
thirdeye

Is it possible that you have a leaking axle seal? About a hundred years ago, we had troubles with grease on brake shoes. It would lock up and we'd have to backup (just momentarily,) to unlock it. My old man was too cheap to buy new shoes so we tried everything from sanding and solvents to an acetelene torch. Nothing worked - he had to get new shoes.

Reply to
George

You may need a new flex hose

Reply to
Battleax

Parking brake cable rusting inside can cause seizing.

Battleax wrote in article ...

Reply to
TomC

Could also be bad master cylinder or contaminated Brake fluid. When you apply the brakes, and release, the valve in the cylinder can be sticking, keeping the brakes applied...or debries in the fliud can do the same

Reply to
topprolmc

If it were the master cylinder, wouldn't it lock up the front? Is there a device that forces more fluid to the rear if you are at speed?

Reply to
Bill

No I mean MASTER cylinder...

Reply to
topprolmc

Master cylinders have been divided into 2 reservoirs for years.... a safety measure so if either the front or back brakes develop a big hole, you do not loose all brakes.

If the internal valving is damaged or has debris, it could be preventing ,the rear in this case, pressure from releasing causing the brakes to stay "applied"...

Reply to
topprolmc

Good point Top,and it jarred my memory. I've seen boosters messs up and not let the brakes completly release, keeping a compensating port blocked. Quick easy check, next time it happens, back the mounting bolts for the master cylinder off three turns or so. If brakes free up you found the cause. I've also seen this happen if the brake light switch wasn't adjusted properly.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

hi, do you use your e brake at all or are the cables rusted up?? they get rusted and hitting bumps and just driving they pull on the shoes the hotter the shoes get the tighter the brakes will be,till cooled off then you can go again,next time it happens get under truck and bend tug and twist cables to see if that losens them.

Reply to
Jeff Guenther

My best guess is this also. Sometimes they degrade internally and act like a check valve.

Reply to
NickySantoro